Solved: I filed Federal return by mail but New York State requires e-filing. How can I change the status of NY state return to efile?

I filed Federal return by mail but New York State requires e-filing. How can I change the status of NY state return to efile?

The E-file Mandate for NY is for professional tax preparers.  Go ahead and mail in your NY State return with a copy of your Federal from 1040.  

The reason that you're experiencing difficultly with e-filing a New York state tax return is almost certainly due to the fact that the TurboTax software won't allow that to happen, where the user has first selected (or was forced into) the paper file option for their federal tax return.  There is no way to "fix" this, or to change the software program to accommodate a New York state e-file.  For that, we apologize.

The underlying reasons for this, however, are that the New York Department of Taxation and Finance needs a taxpayer's Form 1040 (federal return) in order to process the state return.  Where there exists no e-file version of the TurboTax user's federal tax return, it is not possible for the software to create one just for a New York e-file effort.  Also, in an effort to combat tax return identity fraud (theft), in cooperation with the state revenue authorities, it is not possible in TurboTax to e-file just a state tax return alone, without an accompanying e-file federal tax return.

Thus, despite New York's mandate for e-filing, you are left with a couple of reasonable choices.  We have a Frequently Asked Questions webpage (at the link below), with some helpful details on New York:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901383-is-there-a-penalty-if-i-don-t-e-file-my-new-york-return

Probably the easiest thing to do, however, is to simply ignore the New York e-file mandate (for the very good reason that you are unable to comply in TurboTax, having already paper filed a federal tax return), and print and mail your state return to New York, along with signed copies of Pages 1 and 2 of your Form 1040 (or 1040A or 1040EZ).  Here is a link to the valid, official, New York mailing addresses that you can use for this paper filing purpose:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/return_assembly_mail.htm

Thank you for asking this important question, and once again we apologize for any inconvenience.

Will NYS penalize me if I mail my NYS tax return  instead of e-filing it??   I mailed my Federal return.

I prepared my own NYS tax return on Turobtax.  There was no tax preparer involved.

Will I be penalized? Should I worry?? HELP!!