turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Devin B

State E-file undisclosed charges

I purchased the CD/Download Turbotax Deluxe that said included Federal Returns, Federal E-File, and State Returns. If you read carefully on the back you see the State is only free to print or e-file for $19.99 each. After I completed my taxes with TT, I now find out I'm being charged $24.99. How do I get a refund from turbo tax for the extra 5 bucks you charged me?

I have been using intuit Turbotax for years and it seems each year I get nickel and dime'd more and more; its like your goal is to be worse than paying the Fed and State

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

73 Replies

This happened to me yesterday too!! I would like to know too. 

Read the fine print that says the state e-file fee is subject to change.  It goes up every year around the beginning of March from $19.99 to $24.99.  You can avoid the state e-filing fee by just printing and mailing the state return instead of e-filing it.  If you waited this long to file, you must not be in a hurry anyway, so save the e-filing fee and wait a little longer for the state to process your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Lacavera

Hi. If the price can change to e-file why put it on the box then. Is it ok to put something on the box that is highlighted only to counter it somewhere else on the box in fine print.  How about this. Prices may very depending on when you file. What’s true that sentence or the highlighted one on your box that says e-file fee is 19.99. 🤔 

RNK1
Level 1

Hey Turbo Tax,

I purchased the Turbo tax premier CD where it states that the state e-File charge is $19.99 when I go to pay via website it states $24.99??

What's going on? This is unfair trade practice...… can someone from TT help me with this? No one picks up the customer care phone to help!

@RNK1 wrote:

Hey Turbo Tax,

I purchased the Turbo tax premier CD where it states that the state e-File charge is $19.99 when I go to pay via website it states $24.99??

What's going on? This is unfair trade practice...… can someone from TT help me with this? No one picks up the customer care phone to help!

The state e-file charge when using the TurboTax desktop editions is $19.99 for early filers up to March 1.  The price increases each March to the standard price of $24.99.

You can avoid this charge by printing and mailing the state tax return.

I was tricked with that free state return filing also.  I was going to go ahead and charge it to my credit card and request a refund later but to use my credit card there's a $39.99 processing fee, plus the $24.99 state efile fee.   I lost some confidence and didn't want to give permission to take it from my refund.  It appears the Federal return really is free to efile.   I couldn't sign in because I tried to change my forgotten password and something got screwed up.  I cannot efile at all now, because I chose to file both returns at the beginning.   I can't locate a phone number or any online help for technical support, so I guess I'll just take it to the post office.   I've been a loyal Turbo-Tax user for about 40 years and it just gets worse and worse every year.

This happened to me too. I paid for the CD and download code. When I needed to file an Indiana return in addition to my own state return I was charged 44.00. Now to finish I'm being asked to pay for the entire software again. And, it says the additional state was worth $19 something.

I want someone to contact me about this!

pk---70

I purchased the CD Turbo Tax Deluxe  Went to e-mail my state and needed to do it with a credit card,  could not get the charge through.  there was the phone number to call if I couldn't do it on the computer [phone number removed])  I called and was on hold for 1 hour 20 minutes plus.  All I want to do is pay the 24.99 + tax.  What can I do?  Would appreciate help to solve this problem,  Thanks  

e-mail is [email address removed]

Yes, and it's Ridiculous! I paid $69 for the CD plus had to pay $44 for an additional state plus $24.99 to e-file it. I think my years with intuit turbo tax are coming to an end.

Molly16
Returning Member

TurboTax can charge anything. You have to decide what the product is worth. No company will do your taxes free.

I do find this company to have very poor tech support. Windows has to run perfectly to install TurboTax.  You will not receive any help. 

Same here - 60 for fed, 50 for state, and 45 freaking dollars for a "fee". The advert was for a "$60 increase for Deluxe" (which of course, is the only way to file any 1099). In other words, you're screwed if you don't buy the full package. 

umassfan1961
Returning Member

Has anyone had this problem. I was sending in my federal and state  taxes today. Yes last minute i know. I paid the $24,99 plus tax to efile the state.  About 15 minutes later saying the irs and the state rejected the submission.  So i had to  mail in an extension for the state and the irs.  Do i get i get a refund on the charge from Intuit or will i get stuck paying for something i cant use. Also i paid  what i owe  on the state in turbo tax do i assume it wont go thru since the  tax forms were rejected ?

@umassfan1961 wrote:

Has anyone had this problem. I was sending in my federal and state  taxes today. Yes last minute i know. I paid the $24,99 plus tax to efile the state.  About 15 minutes later saying the irs and the state rejected the submission.  So i had to  mail in an extension for the state and the irs.  Do i get i get a refund on the charge from Intuit or will i get stuck paying for something i cant use. Also i paid  what i owe  on the state in turbo tax do i assume it wont go thru since the  tax forms were rejected ?

Since the tax returns were rejected, any direct debit information you entered to pay the taxes owed was not received by the IRS or your State.

You can get a refund for the state e-file charge.

To contact TurboTax customer service/support use their contact website during business hours. If the problem concerns any type of refund for fees, use the key words billing issues and do Not use the word Refund or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

Tonight I did a sick friend's California's State Tax Return.  I live in another State but since I did her Federal Return previously  I knew Turbo Tax had her information and thought why not help a friend out.  It clearly stated that it would cost $44.00+ change.  I paid the fee with my Wells Fargo Card and completed the return.  I went to E File the California State Return and was told I had to pay an additional $24.00+.  Tonight at midnight is the deadline so I had no choice but to pay the additional fees.  Turbo Tax definitely does false advertising and there is no way I should have been charged as much as I was.  Furthermore, Turbo Tax only provided me with the $24.00+ receipt and not the $44.00+ receipt, however the $44.00+ was taken out of my Wells Fargo account.  Why so much and why two fees?  Why the false advertising? Where is my first receipt? We buy Turbo Tax every year but after these ridiculous fees, we won't be buying it anymore.  There is no way I should have been charged close to $70 to file a sick friend State Return.  I want my charges reviewed and a refund processed immediately.

Disgusted in Springfield, VA

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies