turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouse died in July 2019. How do i file return, usually joint returns.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
SusanY1
Employee Tax Expert

You will file with the status of Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) for 2019.  In the Personal Info section of TurboTax, you will be given the change to indicate that your spouse passed away during 2019.  This will ensure that the proper indications are made on the tax return.

Please accept my sincere condolences on the loss of your spouse. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Very sorry for your loss.  For the year that your spouse died, you can still file a joint return.  That way, you will get the married filing jointly standard deduction of $24,000 (+ $1300 for each spouse 65 or older) which will lower the amount of income you are taxed on.

In My Info, you will need to indicate that your spouse died. When his name is in My Info,  there is a screen early in the interview that asks "Do any of these apply to [name] ?’” where you will do that, and then a drop down will appear where you can enter the date he passed.

If you have dependent children still living at home, you will be able to file as a qualified widow for the next two years after this tax return.  Post back if you need further help.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4149272-i-heard-that-the-federal-qualifying-widow-er-requirements-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Am I allowed to electronically file?  He passed in July 2019.  We always filed joint returns

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you will have the option to E-file.

Efiled 2019 tax return  Rejected saying 2018 AGI incorrect.  AGI was correct for 2018.  Resubmitted and rejected again.  Mentioned something about pin number once in Turbo error msg.  Did not give me a chance to key in pin number.  Do I need to mail in return and not efile?

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

You should be filing Married Filing Joint for 2019, and you would use your 2018 AGI from your joint return.  If you input your AGI correctly into your 2019 Tax Information, then  you would need to mail a paper return.  

To double check your 2018 AGI is correct follow these steps while in TurboTax:

1. Select File from the left hand side of your screen,
  2. Complete Step 1 and 2 if you haven’t already done so, then go to Step 3.
  3. When getting to the Let’s get ready to e-file screen after selecting Step 3, select I want to e-file before you continue.
  4. Follow the online instructions. When prompted, put in your exact 2018 AGI.
  5. Continue through the screens until you’ve re-transmitted your return.

I am sorry about your loss.

jfhonig

the exact same thing happened.  e-filed.  rejected due to incorrect AGI, and/or incorrect PIN.  AGI and PIN were correct from the 2018 return.

@jfhonig wrote:

the exact same thing happened.  e-filed.  rejected due to incorrect AGI, and/or incorrect PIN.  AGI and PIN were correct from the 2018 return.

The IRS will reject most tax returns that have a decedent entered even though the 2018 AGI is correct.

IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/list-of-available-free-file-fillable-forms

Decedent Returns- The program might not efile a decedent return. If the Primary or Secondary taxpayer on the return is a decedent, it may be necessary to mail in the return.

You will have to print and mail the tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

I'm experiencing the same thing as the other user. In previous years a joint return was filed and this year I am submitting as MFJ but the primary taxpayer passed away in June 2019 and this seems to be causing the electronic filing to be rejected. If returns in this situation can not be electronically filed and must be mailed in, the TurboTax software should be aware of this and not attempt to electronically file. And I shouldn't have been charged the state electronic filing fee if it wasn't going to be allowed. Any chance this charge can be refunded?

Thank you.

@DDuvall1024 wrote:

I'm experiencing the same thing as the other user. In previous years a joint return was filed and this year I am submitting as MFJ but the primary taxpayer passed away in June 2019 and this seems to be causing the electronic filing to be rejected. If returns in this situation can not be electronically filed and must be mailed in, the TurboTax software should be aware of this and not attempt to electronically file. And I shouldn't have been charged the state electronic filing fee if it wasn't going to be allowed. Any chance this charge can be refunded?

Thank you.

If you used a credit card to pay the $24.99 state e-file fee using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download edition, the contact TurboTax support to get the charge reversed.

To contact TurboTax customer service/support use their contact website during business hours. If the problem concerns any type of refund for fees, use the key words billing issues and do Not use the word Refund or you will get a phone number for tax refunds.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies