turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Software insists that RR employer needs to fix excess RRTA and SS. Pub 505 direct Sched 3. Software does not compute properly. Same problem as in 2018. Shoddy work!?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Software insists that RR employer needs to fix excess RRTA and SS. Pub 505 direct Sched 3. Software does not compute properly. Same problem as in 2018. Shoddy work!?

You Really-really need to call Customer Support, and let them work thru the details of that problem.....the exact values need to be tested, and a ticket written to get it fixed.  But that can't be done without the gory details that are on your W-2 form so they can SEE under exactly what conditions the problem occurs.  This would help not only you, but thousands of others  too:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Make sure you go back and EDIT that W-2 to make absolutely sure the $$ amounts are correct.   People commonly slip up on decimal point placement, or hit a comma instead of the decimal...and that screws up the number without them noticing.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks.  I have talked to one of the Turbotax agents over a week ago.  I have received no updates at this time, but I appreciate the feedback from the community.  I deal with this issue every year, and it has problems each time.  I am printing my federal return and will not be coming back to Turbotax unless I receive an update from the company by 2 weeks from this date.  I think it's time for an accountant to file my taxes.

Big Z

I agree.  Has Turbo Tax fixed yet?  Do I just ignore and proceed?

I received guidance from the following link and it worked:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/retirement/discussion/i-am-a-railroad-employee-and-made-payments-f...

I'm still not satisfied that the problem keeps returning.  I'm likely to forget the procedure next year, and I am waiting on TurboTax to provide a fix that keep me on track i the future. 

A personal accountant is not out of the question  at this time, but I made it through the issues this year.

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies