Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Benefits Worksheet and Schedule 1 (Form 1040)

I have completed filling out my 2020 Tax Return using TurboTax Deluxe on Windows.  Upon reviewing the Social Security Benefits Worksheet, Line 6 shows $300.  The instructions for Line 6 on that form states that the amount comes from Schedule 1, Lines 10 through 19 and Line 22.  When I check my Schedule 1 form, Lines 10 through 19 and Line 22 are all blank.  My question is: Where did the $300 amount on the SS Benefits Worksheet come from? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The printed instructions on the worksheet in TurboTax haven't been updated, but it is doing the calculation correctly. According to the IRS instructions for line 6, you also include Form 1040 line 10b. That's where the $300 comes from.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The printed instructions on the worksheet in TurboTax haven't been updated, but it is doing the calculation correctly. According to the IRS instructions for line 6, you also include Form 1040 line 10b. That's where the $300 comes from.

Gus
Level 1

Hello,  I noticed the same thing on my taxes.   I have searched the instructions for Form 1040SR but I cannot find anything that says I can include the amount from Form 1040, line 10b.  Could you direct me to the correct document?

Thank you.

Gus

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@Gus 

Make sure you have the most recent edition of the Instructions for Form 1040 and 1040-SR. The revision date at the bottom of the cover page is April 13, 2021. Download it from this link.

Instructions for Form 1040 and 1040-SR

Go to page 31, Social Security Benefits Worksheet. Line 6 of the worksheet says "Enter the total of the amounts from Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 10b, Schedule 1, lines 10 through 19, plus any write-in adjustments you entered on the dotted line next to Schedule 1, line 22."

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies