Re: should i self-declare a post-tax IRA contribut...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LP1968
Level 3

should i self-declare a post-tax IRA contribution if my bank did not provide a 1099-R?

I did a post-tax IRA 2018 contribution on Jan. 10 2019, but my bank did not provide a 1099-R yet! 

Should I self-declare the contribution in my 2018 tax return? (even though it has no tax implication, since it was post-tax). 

please advise. Thx.  

1 Reply
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

should i self-declare a post-tax IRA contribution if my bank did not provide a 1099-R?

You'd receive a 1099-R only if you had a distribution, rollover, conversion, or recharacterization of an IRA.  

I'm assuming that you contributed to a Roth IRA, correct?  You do want to enter that into your TurboTax program, just for record-keeping purposes.  See the instructions in the TurboTax FAQ below for entering this 2018 contribution made in 2019.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900454-where-do-i-enter-my-traditional-or-roth-ira

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings