turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Rob F

Setting up Quicken categories to sync with Turbotax

I'm using Quicken 2015. This year I purchased Turbotax 2018 to complete my form 1040. I'm a self-employed person. As I'm going through the Turbotax wizard it's asking me about rental income  (I rented a bedroom in my home). As I explore how to report this I learn that I can import the information from my account in Quicken 2015. I want to do that properly. My question: How do I set up the categories (and tags?) so that the information in my Quicken 2015 file imports correctly?

Related questions: 

-> Is there a document that tells how to do that (or a YouTube 'how to'?)?

-> What do the names of the categories have to be?

-> What if I have a category like 'phones' which is tax-related (because I use the phone for personal and business use)? How do I designate the portion of that expense that is for business and for personal use?

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How to import from Quicken 2016 or earlier.  You can not directly import older years.  Only the last 3 years of Quicken.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899278-how-do-i-import-from-the-txf-file 

It doesn't matter what you call the category.  You need to assign your category to a tax line item number.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-assign-tax-form-line-items-category 

To check the tax line assignment open the Category list by either clicking on the Category Icon or go to Tools-Category List or Ctrl+Shift+C. Then select the category and right click on it to Edit it. Click on the Tax Reporting Tab and check the box for Tax related and pick a Schedule C: tax line item.

Here is a screen shot of mine.  As you can see I named my schedule C categories with the schedule C line number.  You can use any name you want.  Then you assign each category to the tax line.

Q Tax Business Category.jpg

I guess when you enter your phone bill you would have to split it to 2 categories for personal and business.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies