turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kiki
Level 4

Self Employment? How should I report in tax return 1040?

I get cash by house keeping job. Nothing is taken such as withholding tax or social security from this cash pay. No W2 either 1099MISC are provided. My boss wants me to Not report this income in my tax return. But if I choose to report, she said I should file as a self employment. I made $12,800 total last year from this job. All necessary equipment and products are provided by boss, I used my private car to commute and move house to house. I want to report this income in my tax return correctly. How should I report it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

Self Employment? How should I report in tax return 1040?

"My boss wants me to Not report this income in my tax return"

Your boss is asking you to break federal law. You don't want to go there.

Basically, what you have is what the IRS considers to be self-employment income. That is income you earned and were paid while "in business" for yourself. Therefore you will report that income, along with all associated business expenses (such as your vehicle use) on SCH C as a part of your personal tax return. For that, you will have to use either the desktop version of TurboTax Premier at a minimum, or the online version of TurboTax Self-Employed.

Now if you have specific questions about the program, you may find it easier and faster to get those questions answered in the TurboTax support forum, (Referred to as AXE or Answer Exchange) which is easily accessed using the links from within whatever flavor and version of TurboTax you decide you use.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies