turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schwab import fails

I have Home & Business 2019.  When I try to import my 1099, I get the message:

This import was unsuccessful.

There isn't any tax-related info to import right now.

I contacted Schwab who said that files were released and available.  I have not had any import problems in previous years.  Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

172 Replies
AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Schwab import fails

In order to import your Schwab 1099 form(s) into TurboTax, you’ll need to opt-in to Schwab’s import program settings directly from your Schwab account.

To do that,

1. Log in to schwab.com/passwords.
  2. Once logged on to Security Center, scroll down to Third-Party Access to Account Information, and under OFX, select Enable Third-Party Access.
  3. You will receive an email confirming third-party access is enabled.

After that,

1. Sign in to your TurboTax account and continue to your return.
  2. Search for the form you’d like to enter (for example, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B), and select the link at the top of the search results.
  3. Continue through to successfully import your Schwab 1099 forms.
  4. You can also navigate to the section by selecting Wages & Income from the top menu.
  5. Scroll down to Investment Income, select Revisit next to the section you were working on, and continue through to successfully import your Schwab 1099 forms.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Schwab import fails

I have already enabled 3rd party access.  It is a different error message when the access is disabled.

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Schwab import fails

I can't help if the 1099 download isn't working; however, there is an alternative if your 1099-B won't import.  You can enter category totals instead of individual transactions.  To do so,

• Click on Search
  • In the Search Window type Jump to 1099-B
  • Click on Jump to 1099-B
  • Click + Add an Account (if the account you were trying to download is showing, delete it first)
  • Answer Yes to "Did or will you receive a 1099-B form or brokerage statement for these sales? "
  • Click on "I'll type it in myself"
  • Select your Bank or brokerage and click Continue
  • On the page with "Tell us about your 1099-B sales for this Charles Schwab account" answer the question about employee stock & the number of sales, etc.
  • click the button "Let's enter a summary"
  • Enter your Investment Sale information and repeat to you have entered for each category.

After entering all your category summaries,  Look for "To finish reporting these sales, follow the mailing instructions" and click on the link for these instructions:

Take a moment to double-check that your statements are complete. For each sale listed, there should be:

•  - A Description
  •  - Date Acquired
  •  - Date Sold
  •  - Sales Price
  •  - Cost Basis
  •  - Gain or loss for each sale
  •  - A based on how the sale was reported to you and the IRS

In some uncommon cases, there will be an adjustment code and adjustment amount.

NOTE: Any sales summaries that include only Box A or Box D sales, and which have no adjustments to gain/loss, do not need to be included on a statement mailed to the IRS.

Here's how to mail your statements:

If you are e-filing your tax return, then mail your statements along with Form 8453 to:

Internal Revenue Service

Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254

Receipt and Control Branch

Austin, TX 73344-0254

If you are not e-filing, then mail your statements with your entire tax return to your local IRS office.

Schwab import fails

I've never had any problem importing from Schwab before.  I use Turbo-tax Premier

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Schwab import fails

A couple of things to try.  1. If you have a VPN running, disable it.  2.  Try a different browser (Chrome, FireFox, Edge).  

NickNick

Schwab import fails

I'm having the same issue.

I'm using the downloaded installed product on my desktop.

I was able to download from etrade.

It's just schwab where I cannot.

And I have change the third party switch -- which was "on" to "off" and then back to "on" -- just in case.

None of that accomplished anything.

It appears the handshake between intuit and schwab is broken.

Schwab has XML, CSV download available.   Does TurboTax allow importing those ??   If so, how ?

GoingLikeSixty
Returning Member

Schwab import fails

I've done this and still cannot import for 2020.  Schwab says all forms are available.

this is the message I get:

The 1099 import service for Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is currently unavailable. Please try your import again on February 12, 2021 at 12:00AM PT.

• Try getting this form another time.
  • Already have this tax info? You can enter it by hand.
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Schwab import fails

Are you still having trouble importing your 1099? 

@GoingLikeSixty

GoingLikeSixty
Returning Member

Schwab import fails

Hi, turns out all my forms are not ready yet at Schwab.  I'll check back 2/19. Thanks for your interest!

Schwab import fails

Hi Alan and all,

First time user here.  Decided to move on from TaxAct after many years because of some issue last year with some forms which I'm now trying to resolve with the IRS.  Was happy to see basic info and W-2 import worked smoothly into my 2020 Premier Windows software.

I initially had issues with import working due to third-party access being disabled, but then I fixed it and it was able to import.  My issue is that it only imported the 1099-DIV section, when the more interesting and involved 1099-B.  When I looked at the forms available, they had the 1099-B PDF available separately, but for some reason it isn't included in the composite PDF.   I don't know if this is something known that should be resolved and if so when.  If anyone has info on this please share.  I'll also try querying Schwab on it.

Schwab import fails

In my case, the issue is only the individual investor account info is picked up, not the EAC account (for company stock awards) that has my 1099-B.  So it is probably unrelated to the original issue here.  I saw another post about EAC import not working.

Schwab import fails

Having the same issue with EAC. 1099 has been available since 02/19 but no luck importing so far. Do love the confidence with which turbotax tells me to be prepared to be impressed and then fails at every import attempt.

GoingLikeSixty
Returning Member

Schwab import fails

Schwab had not uploaded all my forms when I posted before. Once they were all uploaded the imported seamlessly into Turbotax. Also imported from Amerprise too.  I have e-filed my taxes.

Schwab import fails

CAUTION:

I'd be wary and suspicious of the website URLs posted by new user "nhe150" above.   For all we know, they could be dangerous sites to steal information or plant malware.    I've asked a Moderator to look it into it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies