turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Schedule A line 17 & Form 1040 line 12a inconsistent

I used TurboTax Premier to prepare my 2021 tax.

The line 17 of Schedule A is 13,503. The line 17 says this figure is to be filled in Form 1040 line 12a. However, when I checked the line 12a, it was a different figure, 21,323. Why are these two figures different?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Sounds like it's giving you the Standard Deduction but that is an odd amount.  How old are you?  What is your filing status?  Are you a dependent?

For 2021 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 12,550 + 1,700 for 65 and over or blind (14,250)

HOH 18,800 + 1,700 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 25,100 + 1,350 for each 65 and over or blind

Married filing Separate 12,550 + 1,350 for 65 and over or blind

running a test using TurboTax, the only way this can happen is if you are filing jointly but one or both can be claimed as dependents. then your standard deduction will be your earned income (wages) +350.  this unusual situation only occurs if you don’t owe any taxes and are filing jointly only to receive a refund.   if you have a tax liability and one or both can be claimed as dependents a joint return can not be filed

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You didn't say whether you are using TurboTax Online or the CD/Download TurboTax software. If you are using the CD/Download software, you can see Schedule A in forms mode, but it is not actually part of your tax return. TurboTax uses Schedule A to add up your itemized deductions, but on Form 1040 line 12a it is giving you the standard deduction instead of the itemized deductions from Schedule A because the standard deduction is higher.

@SoePaing - please confirm which version of TT you are using:  Online or CD/ Download.  Also, if you are using the download version, did you override anything?  are you filing Single, HOH or Joint? 

@rjs - not tracking.

Schedule A = $13,503

Form 1040 = $21,343 

what standard deduction is $21,343?  I can't figure that out. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@NCperson wrote:

what standard deduction is $21,343?  I can't figure that out. 

@NCperson 

Filing MFJ and one or both can be claimed as a dependent, earned income of $20,993 + $350 = $21,343 standard deduction. See the Standard Deduction Worksheet for Dependents on page 33 of the IRS Instructions for Form 1040, and Mike9241's post above.

Mike9241 wrote: "the only way this can happen is if you are filing jointly but one or both can be claimed as dependents. then your standard deduction will be your earned income (wages) +350."

My age is 84.  My filing status is single (My husband passed away on May 17, 2020.)  I am not a dependent. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@anniegirl55  You did not ask a question, but your situation seems to be completely different from the question asked by SoePaing that started this thread. If you have a tax question, please post a separate new question of your own, and state your specific question. It's just going to cause confusion if you try to discuss your question here, mixed in with a question from someone else whose situation is completely different from yours.

Please do not reply in this thread. Post a new separate question of your own.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies