turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shanedimaria
Returning Member

Says I need to pay to download my 2017 tax return where do I go to pay?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If it was prepared in Free Edition last year, access will be locked.   If that's your situation, we can tell you how to pay to unlock your 2017 return.   The method to unlock it depends on what all you have done with your 2018 return.

If you have found the 2017 return, but access is locked, please answer all of the following:

1.  What is the story on your 2018 return?   Have you already filed a 2018 return in Online TurboTax, or is one still in preparation?  Or did you file elsewhere?
  2. Was the 2018 return prepared in Free Edition?
  3. Is the 2018 return in the SAME account as the 2017 online return?

We can tell you the steps to unlock a prior return once you answer all 3 questions above.

There's also a free option if a return transcript will suit your purpose.   You may be able to immediately download one at the IRS website if you qualify to open an IRS account there.  Otherwise, to order a transcript to come by postal mail takes 5-10 calendar days.
http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

I have filed my 2018 return already and it is in the same category as my 2017 return 

I have filed my 2018 return online

I have filed my 2018 tax return with the free online account. It’s in the same account as the 2017.

@taftlisa68  wrote:

I have filed my 2018 tax return with the free online account. It’s in the same account as the 2017.

The following steps are how to open up your filed 2018 return, upgrade it to PLUS, and pay 19.99 to unlock a 2017 return that was prepared in Free Edition.

NOTE:  When you open your 2018 return back up, do not make any changes in it since it's already been filed.

• Log in and go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click that line or on the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2018 tax year.
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • Once the return is open, then go to the left menu column and click on Upgrade.
  • On the Upgrade screen choose PLUS.     CAUTION:  If PLUS is grayed out, that means you are already in PLUS.  Do NOT upgrade any farther than PLUS, or you'll have problems.
  • Once you are in PLUS, then you need to pay.
  • In the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • At the Print Center choose to "Print, save, view THIS  YEAR's return."   (Yes, you say "this year's" because you are paying for the 2018 return upgrade to unlock the 2017 return.)   You don't actually have to print the 2018 return.
  • It will then ask you to pay.  If the Order Summary appears OK, then choose PAY NOW.
  • You can pay by credit card or debit card (even though it only says "credit.")   If it should offer you the choice of paying later out of the Federal refund, that cannot be done for this purpose.  You have to choose PAY NOW.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies