Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Sale of Second Home - Capital Gain or Loss Reporting

I have a similar situation. I purchased a second home in 2021 but it needed too much work to rent or use it so i sold it in 2022 at a loss. I am using TurboTax Premier Desktop version and I received a 1099-S with the name of the attorney, description, date of sale and selling price.

In TurboTax I put it in as an investment as directed above.

I used the settlement statements from my purchase and my sale of it.

In TurboTax, I put it as a Short Term noncovered (Box B) as they only listed the selling price not the expenses of the sales as on the settlement statement. (Short term sales with cost basis not reported to the IRS).

I then added the fees and expenses from the settlement statement when checking the box, "The reported sales price did not deduct all fees or selling expenses.

Is everything correct on this?  TurboTax is putting an E on the 8949 form.  

Thanks

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. it is correct. The amount of the adjustment is your expense of sale. Code E reflects the adjustment.

You can't use the net sales price because you need to match the price listed on Form 1099-S.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I don't think you would check box B since the line says "reported on 1099B" and you have a 1099S.  You should check box C "not reported on 1099B" if it is short term.  Maybe an Intuit employee expert can confirm that.

The form actually says Substitute Form 1099-S Proceeds from Real Estate Transactions for the Tax Year 2022

How do I report this? as a 1099-B in investments? or list as not received a 1099-B since I received a 1099-S for the real estate sale. An attorney handled the sale and provided the 1099-S not a bank or financial institution.

It would be nice if TurboTax actually had this in the Premier edition as a question to answer.

Thanks

You did not receive a "1099B", so I don't think box B is the correct box to check.  An employee expert can confirm what is correct.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct. You would report this in Box C, if short term or F if long-term. In fact, there is a question that is asked in the beginning of the interview asking if you received a 1099B for the sale, you would answer "no". 

Since wathenpc is using desktop software, the program will prompt to enter the information in the sale screen and then ask information about the sale of the house. At the end, there are only two choices for the holding period, C for short-term or F for long term. There is no Box B. This should be the screen that should appear in your Premier Desktop version. keep in mind, this screenshot is for illustrative purposes only.

@syoung123 @wathenpc 

Thanks. 1 more question.  In completing my taxes it is asking if I had a NOL.

I did but I think i need to answer NO,

I am on Social Security and no real other income.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

No. Based on your circumstances, you would not have a NOL to be concerned about. 

@wathenpc 

TaxData

Thank you for the info But I am not getting the option to enter the type of investment.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies