Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rejected 2019 return based on my deceased spouse's agi

UPDATE:

- I spoke with a senior support rep.  Who took my info and shared with the development team.

- They have a theory that the IRS efile system is not loaded with the social-security data since Julie passed in December.

- ... so I called up the IRS.  They told me that their system *has* recorded the death.

- So now they're going to dig into it deeper.

I have also given what I hope is constructive criticism about how they can improve their messaging and error handling and customer support to help folks who find themselves in our sad situation.   

And pardon me while I spare a tear..   Miss ya babe you were the best.

https://julieslife.com/ is my memorial.

This happened to me as well.  I ended up printing my federal and state taxes, but only AFTER pay $140.00 to turbo tax.  Can I get a refund?

This happened to me as well.  I ended up printing my federal and state taxes, but only AFTER pay $140.00 to turbo tax.  Can I get a refund?  Has anyone tried?

So sorry for your loss, Paul. Your wife was lovely, and I'm sure you miss her terribly. Here is the memorial site for my late husband Jon (still working on it, though - some pages are still under construction: https://jonwlarose.com/

I wouldn't be so upset at TurboTax if they'd just own up to the problem. Every app has bugs - they just need to admit it and fix it. Making up BS about Social Security numbers is just offensive. As I've said, I filed with another company using the exact same information, and it went through like a breeze. I efiled on Feb 24 and got my refund today. Obviously, the problem is with TurboTax and not the IRS!

This response is to repeat INTUIT TURBO TAX is doing something wrong when eFile returns are submitted.  I repeatedly had mine rejected by IRS for an incorrect spouse AGI.  The AGI was correct, it matched both my return from last year AND the Tax Return Transcript I downloaded from IRS. TurboTax corrections DO NOT WORK.  I tried "0" too and that failed the IRS test.

Finally, I went to FREETAXUSA reentered everything (I itemized deductions and had more than a dozen 1099's) from my Turbo Tax Returns Including the AGI I had used in Turbo Tax submissions.  The FreeTaxUSA return was accepted by IRS in less that 10 minutes. 

Conclusion, Turbo Tax is wrong you don't have to print and file a paper return!!! Next year don't bother with TurboTax go direct to FreeTaxUSA and you won't have to do your return twice.  

Mel Scottsdale AZ

Turbo Tax is a waste of money that I will not repeat in 2020.

I went with FreeTaxUSA also after getting frustrated with TurboTax. I got the audit protection and still paid less than $20. My return was accepted the same day. It's sad because I've been happy with TurboTax for 10 years.

How does filing at FreeTaxUSA work? Does it import the tax information from TurboTax? Has anyone here actually received their refund using this method?

My return was pretty small so i just keyed it all back in to FreeTaxUSA.  It was accepted very quickly and I have already received the refund from the IRS

After you open a FreeTaxUSA account, you can import last year's TurbuTax info so it automatically fills in your personal info. Sadly, for this year's income, deductions, etc, you have to start from scratch and enter everything. 
But for me, it was completely worth it. I filed on Feb 24, and my refund safely reached my bank account yesterday (March 11).

Same thing happened to me. Turbo Tax should fix this problem as soon as possible instead of saying that the return must be print out and send it by mail.  Why FreetaxUsa, is able to efile and Turbo doesn't? It is a good question to answer.

You'd think that in the current public health situation, Intuit would do everything in their power to support e-filing.

Glad I found this thread on my search. I too have had my e-file rejected several times this evening because it says my deceased Husbands AGI isn't correct, but I've confirmed that it is as reported on last years taxes, also filed using turbo tax. I'm annoyed with having to print it out and mail it in, but I'm even more annoyed that my State refund, which I had to pay to E-File won't work because the Federal return isn't being accepted. I assume I won't be charged since they won't accept my efile. 

pmg

Looks like it's been 2 weeks since, and I'm having the same issue, so it hasn't been fixed yet.

penelopemathis
Returning Member

thanks for the advice will follow up.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies