turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Rejected 2019 return based on my deceased spouse's agi

If you have confirmed that the AGI is correct and it is still rejected by the IRS, then the IRS database may be in error.

This is not an uncommon occurrence.

The tax return will have to be printed and mailed to the IRS.

See also this TurboTax Best Answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks dianalarose!  I had same issue with turbotax and H & R Block.  IRS rejected returns multiple times using the 2018 AGI (confirmed it was correct with IRS) and 2018 PIN.  ALL rejected as "no match".  Your wonderful suggestion to use FREETAXUSA worked like a charm.  TurboTax, H&R Block and very possibly others, need to tweek this are of their returns programming.  It's so hard to loose your spouse and THEN have to deal with these type failures.  Thanks again for your help.  You're an angel!

Glad it worked for you! Too bad TurboTax continues to blow smoke instead of admitting it's their problem and fixing it.

I have the same problem. I am also frustrated in that I cannot e-file my returns, which will delay my refund. I also paid the $19.99 fee to e-file my state return. It has already hit my credit card as a pending charge. Will TurboTax refund this fee? I would certainly expect hem to do so, but it's not clear of I need to contact someone to make sure this happens.

I have used TT for a long time and last year was the first time the return was rejected.  The “Help me fix it” did not work and I got zero support from Intuit.  I ended up having to file by mail.  This year I had high hopes but guess what, other file rejection with the bad pin or agi info.  I am sure this was because of a deceased spouse like many other people here.  I took a chance and tried to use FreeTaxUsa as mentioned in this thread by dianalarose. It took me an hour to create an account, input all the info again and transmit the return.  Low and behold I already have an email confirmation that the return was accepted using the same agi and pin that I tried in TT.  So the theory that a locked SSN is causing the problem is just bullsh*t.  TurboTax needs to step up and fix the problem.  I likely will not be using TT next year.  Thanks to dianalarose for posting a great solution.

Thank you very much for posting your solution.  I had the exact same problem and FreeTaxUsa worked for me as well!

Sure glad I found all these comments.  I have been using Turbotax for years and thought I was going crazy. So very frustrating.  My husband passed away in 2019 and I was e filing.  I did everything I could to correct the rejected e file. I gave up and decided to mail in.  I did contact a person and their solution was to get a transcript ( what a hassle with that ) or just to mail it in. So, I just decided to mail in.  I think Turbotax has a problem and should really check into this. 

I concur with dianalarose, dutchess2carr, and Tromance - and THANK YOU to all three for exploring other solutions and posting about FreeTaxUSA, which worked beautifully and all the efiling data Federal and state data was quickly ACCEPTED.  FreeTaxUSA is a far better, and clearly more reliable tax product.  On Friday, 2/28, I was in despair regarding the repeatedly rejected federal and state return issue via TurboTax despite ALL info, including the prior year AGI, being 100% correct.  There's enough pain and stress when a widower has to prepare and submit the tax return with the word DECEASED at the top, when his wife always prepared the returns.  Being flippantly told to "mail it in" after wasting $70 on this broken program is unconscionable.  TurboTax: how about first owning up to this very serious problem, AND then informing the community that you are committed to FIX it.  Especially for people going thru enough grief right now - the last thing we need is even more pain, work, delay and frustration.

kstigge

I have had the same exact issue trying to file my parents return when my mother passed away in May of 2019.  My father owes money and I submitted his credit card information through turbo tax to pay his taxes and the fee as well as the state filing fee of 24.99.  Since his return has been rejected, those charges won't go through will they? I need to if we need to write a check and I don't want to be charged something that we didn't get to use.

delorren

my 

delorren

how do I deal with my rejected 2019 return

MayaD
Expert Alumni

If you filed a joint return in 2018, you and your spouse have the same AGI. 

Look for the AGI on form 1040 line 7.

If you can't locate your 2018 tax return, you can request an online transcript or a copy by mail  from the IRS Website. If the IRS keeps rejecting the return you can print it and mail it in.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If the IRS rejected your return, they won't charge the credit card number you provided. No worries. 
But TurboTax has a bug that causes rejection of tax returns filed by surviving spouses. All us widowed folks are finding this out. The rejection code indicates that the decreased spouse's AGI is wrong, but that is typically not the actual reason. You will not be able to fix it using TurboTax. Either file a paper return or (if you are determined to efile like I was) find another tax program. Apparently HRBlock has the same bug, but FreeTaxUSA does not. I filed with exactly the same info using FreeTaxUSA and my return was accepted in just a couple of hours.

In the end there was no way that I could get TurboTax to send it and have it accepted.  There is something wrong with how the program sends the return.  I ended up using FreeTaxUSA online service to file the return.  It took about an hour to setup the account and put in all the information but in my

mind it was time well spent

because the return was accepted the first time with no errors.

Thanks! It worked for me too.  I just tried FretaxUsa and my return was accepted in minutes! Too bad that Turbo Tax is having this issue and not trying to fix it. Thanks again!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies