Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Rejected 2019 return based on my deceased spouse's agi

FYI that TurboTax still hasn't fixed this problem.  Rejected three times and claims cannot verify deceased spouse's previous year's AGI (filed jointly, so it's the same number).  I tried inputting zero one time to see if that might work and it does not.  Helping alongside elderly parent for what should be an easy filing, but turbotax makes it impossible to e-file. No thanks!  

Thanks for the tips and off to Freetaxusa. Hope that one works. 

There is nothing that TurboTax can fix. TurboTax does not reject - the IRS does.    If the Social Security Administration was notified of the death then the SSN is probably locked and e-file cannot be used, mail file is the only option.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Hi macuser_22 -- how do you explain the many people that were able to e-file by switching to a different provider?

The best explanation is that Turbotax is not sending data correctly, and the IRS is rejecting it.

It has been reported and they are investigating it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

FYI that I was able to successfully file the final married, filing jointly tax return on freetaxusa dot com on the first and only try. 

Freetaxusa asks for both previous year's AGI and both the surviving spouse and deceased spouse's state ID information.  

That's the difference that is why Turbotax returns get rejected by the IRS. Turbotax never asked for the deceased spouse's ID and hence this may be why the IRS cannot "verify" the tax return.

My parents successfully used turbotax for decades, both paper filings and mostly e-filing.

I don't know why macuser or someone else marked this post as spam, but it is not.  I'm trying to help everyone else frustrated how to get your tax returns with a deceased spouse filed successfully.

FYI that I was able to successfully file the final married, filing jointly tax return on freetaxusa dot com on the first and only try. 

Freetaxusa asks for both previous year's AGI and both the surviving spouse and deceased spouse's state ID information.  

That's the difference that is why Turbotax returns get rejected by the IRS. Turbotax never asked for the deceased spouse's ID and hence this may be why the IRS cannot "verify" the tax return.

Turbotax returns were rejected THREE times.

My parents successfully used turbotax for decades, both paper filings and mostly e-filing.

I don't know why macuser or someone else marked this post as spam, but it is not.  I'm trying to help everyone else frustrated how to get your tax returns with a deceased spouse filed successfully.

My father was in tears that he couldn't get the simple final married, filing jointly tax return accepted.  This was a frustrating experience with turbotax for the first time.

By the way, does turbotax keep the fee they charged when attempting to file and it was rejected?  Because had to use a different program to file taxes that were accepted fine by the IRS.

Also, in SF Bay Area, we are in lockdown and enforced shelter-in-place orders through April 7th, so we aren't allowed to go out except for necessary medical and food needs.  E-filing is the best and safest option, not going out to the post office and filing a paper return.

@frustratedwidower wrote:

By the way, does turbotax keep the fee they charged when attempting to file and it was rejected?  Because had to use a different program to file taxes that were accepted fine by the IRS.

There is no charge for e-file.  The fee if for the use of the software to prepare the return and is the same whether e-filed or mail filed.   You have until April 15 to mail the return or of you file an online extension, then you have until Oct. 15 to file.  The IRS is also expected to delay the pay-by date if you owe (payments can also be made electronically) , so there is no reason to rush to mail file - and TurboTax might have fixed the problem by then.

I, unfortunately, have a subscription, so I already paid for the product. I could have saved all that, since I ended up having to use a different program due to TurboTax's bug that affects people who were widowed last year. TT owes me, but I have no doubt they will find a way to finagle their way out of it.

I feel bad for the people who are filing by snail mail because TT told them the *LIE* that they have no other choice. 

I have a rather lengthy return, and there was no way I was going to re-enter manually in another program.  So I printed and mailed ($15.40 certified return receipt to IRS and my state).  I was significantly overpaid (for me, at least) this year, so I would have preferred getting my over payment back quickly.  I don't trust either IRS or the state to credit the over payment to my single return for 2020, so I'm getting refunds and paying estimated taxes, with no over payment applied.

If you are e-filing a state return, it is not free, at least not to me.  I think the price may vary by state.  I live in NC, which has a fairly straightforward return.

It was difficult to get the refund of $24.99 e-filing fee for my state back from TT, but they did do it eventually.  Had to escalate to a supervisor.  They feel it's not their fault that the return is rejected.  Quite a lot of phone time.  They did send me a technical memo they supposedly sent to folks, outlining that it is not their fault, it is the IRS.  But of course, that doesn't follow, since the other software works.

Of course with our current situation in the USA, I wouldn't be surprised if ALL refund processing is slower than normal (e-filing and by mail).

It is annoying to have this problem.  I haven't filed by mail since 1995.

There is no charge for e-file.  The fee if for the use of the software to prepare the return and is the same whether e-filed or mail filed.   You have until April 15 to mail the return or of you file an online extension, then you have until Oct. 15 to file.  The IRS is also expected to delay the pay-by date if you owe (payments can also be made electronically) , so there is no reason to rush to mail file - and TurboTax might have fixed the problem by then.

Yes, there is a charge for e-filing STATE returns.  Perhaps it depends on the level of software you purchase.  I have always paid an additional charge to e-file my state return, while the federal e-file is included in the cost of the software.

@mpiatt wrote:

Yes, there is a charge for e-filing STATE returns.  Perhaps it depends on the level of software you purchase.  I have always paid an additional charge to e-file my state return, while the federal e-file is included in the cost of the software.

Only if you are using the CD/download software -  not the online version.

Add me to the list of problem accounts.  My Dad passed away this year and I tried to submit electronic returns today as married filing jointly with my Mom as surviving spouse. The federal return was rejected and the state return was rejected due to the federal rejection.  The 2018 AGI is correct. 

I understand software errors can occur and can be vexing to fix, but Turbotax should at least recognize this as an issue and not fight refunds for those of us who paid to file state returns that cannot now be transmitted.  

macuser_22 please read the room.

Question
My spouse passed away last year, and I want to file a joint return. How should I file, how should I sign, and are there any special notations required to indicate my spouse is deceased?
Answer
  • Across the top of the return - above the area where you enter your address, write "Deceased," your spouse’s name, and the date of death.
  • When you're a surviving spouse filing a joint return and a personal representative hasn't been appointed, you should sign the return and write "filing as surviving spouse" in the signature area below your signature.
  • When you're a surviving spouse filing a joint return and a personal representative has been appointed, you and the personal representative should sign the return.
  • A decedent taxpayer's tax return can be filed electronically. Follow the specific directions provided by your preparation software for proper signature and notation requirements.

Note: You can't file a final joint return with your deceased spouse if you as the surviving spouse remarried before the end of the year of death. The filing status of the decedent in this instance is married filing separately.

Sub-Category
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies