Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet

Could you be more specific? 

The Recovery Rebate Credit is based on your 2020 tax return. 

Children whose parents switch years for claiming may produce a payment for both parents, both payments are eligible to be received. 

Taxpayers who pass away in 2020 still generate a credit. 

Here are the eligibility requirements as listed by the IRS:

Q B1. Eligibility Requirements: What are the eligibility requirements for the credit? (added Februar...

A1. The eligibility requirements are the same for the Recovery Rebate Credit as they were for the Economic Impact Payments except that the credit eligibility and the credit amount are based on your 2020 tax year information. The Economic Impact Payments were based on your 2018 or 2019 tax year information.

Individuals who didn’t qualify for the Economic Impact Payments or did not receive the full amount of the recovery rebates as Economic Impact Payments may be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit based on their 2020 tax situation.  If you received the full amount for each Economic Impact Payment, you won’t need to include any information about either when you file your 2020 tax return. You received the full amount if:

• Your first Economic Impact Payment was $1,200 ($2,400 if married filing jointly) plus $500 for each qualifying child; and
  • Your second Economic Impact Payment was $600 ($1,200 if married filing jointly) plus $600 for each qualifying child .
    If you either didn’t receive any Economic Impact Payments or received less than these full amounts, you may be eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit based on your 2020 tax information and must file a 2020 Federal tax return.

Generally, if you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020, were not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment, you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit if any of the following applies:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2020 return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment issued before the due date of your 2020 tax return (including extensions). Some exceptions apply for those who file married filing jointly where only one spouse must have a valid Social Security number to claim RRC.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You are an estate or trust.

Also, individuals who died prior to January 1, 2020 are not eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

See IRS.gov/rrc or the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet available in the Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR instructions for more information.

Anyone with income of $72,000 or less can file their Federal tax return electronically for free through the IRS Free File Program. The fastest way to get your tax refund is to file electronically and have it direct deposited - contactless and free - into your financial account. You can have you refund direct deposited  into your bank account, prepaid debit card or mobile app. You will need to provide the routing and account numbers no matter which option you choose - bank accounts, prepaid debit cards or mobile apps.

IRS Source

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for the reply, I voted up your answer.

I think my problem was operator error. I never personally saw the first

($2400) stimulus and gave it all to my wife as an IRS direct deposit to pay bills.

(Spoiler: We qualify all three times for the full amount.)

By cutting the first  stimulus amount ($2400) in half for the second one,

and then only sending the second one ($1200) to ONE of us ($600),  and as a

check instead, I answered thinking it was NOT cut in half. (We got $600 total.)

I was able to go in TT-TY2020 (local C/D program) and delete the worksheet and

get it to walk through that part of the interview again, providing the correct\

numbers that second time.

Sometimes manually tinkering with the program does not update things internally

when done this way, (outside the Interview), but by forcing the interview it was OK.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Good for you!

IRS provided Notice 1444, Economic Impact Payment as a record of your stimulus payment.  It was mailed about 15 days after the payment was made.

The IRS Get My Payment tool should tell you the amount of your stimulus payments and where your stimulus payments were deposited or mailed.

It's always a good idea to run Review through to completion to make sure that all of the calculations are up-to-date. 

We qualify for a reduced recovery rebate credit based on our 2020 AGI, but I cannot get to the stimulus questions on our return.  It just skips right over that section.  I also did my daughter's taxes and it did cover the stimulus on her return, so I know where it is and what it looks like.  

I went directly to the IRS website and completed the recovery rebate credit worksheet to double-check that we qualify based on 2020 return (we received no checks previously because we did not qualify based on 2018 return and our 2019 return was filed too late, although we would have qualified for a small amount based on that return) and am extremely frustrated that it is not showing up on my return.  I have tried numerous times to no avail.  Help!

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Try this:

In the Federal section, select the Federal Review interview section at the top of the screen.

This will take you to the input section for the Recovery Rebate credit.

Be sure to indicate the actual amount of each stimulus payment you received on the page that asks if you received a stimulus payment. 

There will be two boxes and both need to be completed.  If you did not receive any stimulus payments, please indicate We didn't get a stimulus payment by checking that box.

Stimulus input

If you are still having issues, you may need to contact us for support using the link below.

Contact TurboTax

Thanks for your response, but this is what I have tried numerous times.  Here is the sequence:  

I go to Federal Review and click yes, I've entered everything and let's review

It takes me to Let's Review your Numbers

Then Smart Check and it tell me no errors

Then it takes me to my state return.

If I try No, I have something to enter, it gives me a list of things, but nothing about the stimulus.  

I never get to anything about the stimulus or recovery rebate credit.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

This would be best resolved by clicking here to contact customer support. 

Since The Interview seems broken, and the form is missing<?>, I totally agree this is a question for support.

@RICKinPA wrote:

Since The Interview seems broken, and the form is missing<?>, I totally agree this is a question for support.

There are two reasons the program would not present the stimulus questions -

1.  The user entered that they are a dependent in the My Info section of the program

2.  The 2020 AGI is too high to be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  It phases out if the AGI is greater than -

• $150,000 if married filing jointly or qualifying widow(er)
• $112,500 if head of household
• $75,000 if single or married filing separately

Thanks for your response, but according to the IRS worksheet, we are eligible for a $632 credit.  

And we're over 60, so not listed as dependents.  😉

Yes, I will contact support.  My feeling is it's keying off our income, but according to the IRS worksheet, we qualify for a (small) credit based on our 2020 AGI.  

So annoying! :(

John, I got your reply as an email notification. It was very creative, but "it" seems to

be missing from the support site. Actually it appears here as a blank message.

I'm guessing it was to far outside the box.

Or POSSIBLY NOT A SUPPORTED OR SAFE PROCEEDURE.

I'm a normal member here and have no connection to Intuit or TurboTax.

I'd call in or try their FREE support, if any.

The IRS reduced my federal tax refund by $2400 (the amount of my recovery rebate credit).

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

@deethesailor The IRS is matching the Recovery Rebate Credit with their records of Stimulus Payments sent.  They may have determined that you already received the $2400 stimulus payments you claimed on your tax return, or that you were not eligible to receive the stimulus payments. 

To check your Stimulus Payments:

• On your IRS letter-Notice 1444 and/or 1444-B which were mailed to you with the headline, “Your Economic Impact Payment Has Arrived” and were signed by the president. Or,
  • By visiting IRS.Gov and creating or accessing your account. Or,
  • In your bank statements. You might be able to search your online statements for deposits made by the IRS or US Treasury.

2merlin1
Returning Member

Why is the Rebate Form updated to provide for the $1,400 rebate?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies