turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

miguelng7

Recovery Rebate credit: It didn't give me an option on here to do. My return stayed the same. Why is that?

Recovery Rebate credit: It didn't give me an option on here to do. My return stayed the same. Why is that?  I have a child who was born last year
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Recovery Rebate credit: It didn't give me an option on here to do. My return stayed the same. Why is that?

Children born in 2020 were not included in the 1st stimulus because those checks were based on 2018 or 2019. No one got stimulus money for babies born in 2020 because the IRS did not know about those babies or have their SSN’s. But on your 2020 tax return you can claim your child born in 2020 for the stimulus money, as well as the other child-related credits.  You enter your new dependent in My Info.  When you go through the screens in My Info make sure to say your child lived with you the WHOLE year.  When it asks the oddly worded question about whether your child paid for over half their own support say NO.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the Federal Review section,  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/coronavirus-tax-relief-and-economic-impact-payments-for-individuals-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-will-the-stimulus-package-impact-me/00/1393859

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Return stayed the same--she did NOT get the option to do it, which means the software did NOT prompt her. I have had the same issue and need to know why I don't get the option. After federal check, I am thrown directly to state taxes.

Is this a software glitch or does it have to do with filing? I am on SSDI, have filed every year, but don't have a w-2. a small 1st check was deposited, but no 2nd stimulus deposit. How am I to recover if I can't access the questionnaire or access the form?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

This Turbo Tax FAQ will provide information on the stimulus.  

How will the second stimulus impact me?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@lamentor79    It sounds like you are just not navigating the software and did not go the Federal Review section.  That section is in every version of the software.

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st ad 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

With all due respect, my question was, "How am I to recover if I can't access the questionnaire or access the form?"

I need an answer as to why TurboTax software is skipping over this and directing me right to the state taxes.

If you are unable to answer this, please refer it to an "expert" in the IT department, as they might be better equipped to handle this dilemma.

Thank you very much!

Let me repeat myself so that there is no misunderstanding.

I went through the Federal Review section COMPLETELY, at which point the software directed me to "Let's work on your state refund." I went (was sent) directly to "GO," I did not, in the words of the game "Monopoly," collect $200. This is not something that "I" skipped over.

I navigated properly. How does that "sound" like I am just not navigating the software and did not go <to> the Federal Review section.

For your information, I completed another tax form (for another individual) and it took me through the questionnaire. If this has anything to do with the fact that I only provided SSA-1099 documentation (no w-2), then perhaps the software does not populate this field. Or, perhaps the IRS has some other provisions by which I should attempt to recover the missing stimulus payment, though their directions were to file (typically if having not filed the previous year). As I previously stated, I have filed every year and have a valid account on file for direct deposit, so that shouldn't even be a consideration.

The other "expert" gave nothing more than general information and a couple links. They epically failed to provide any useful information. Please, if you are not able to comprehend, how could you possibly be able to provide assistance? If one is unable to provide an accurate answer, one should abstain or more prudently reply, "I am unable to answer your question, as it is beyond the scope of my knowledge and/or skill base. I can, however, refer the query to somebody in the IT department, as they are likely better equipped to handle this dilemma."

This is not some social media site wherein anybody can and/or should respond. Since it  appears (not "sounds like") you are keeping score and trying to pad your numbers, I would like to subtract 5 points from your total.

Thank you!

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

Even though you are not prompt to enter the stimulus information, you can access to the section directly by following these steps:

• Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
  • At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "stimulus" and Enter
  • Select Jump to stimulus
  • Follow prompts

The Recovery Rebate Credit is a credit that was authorized by the CARES Act.  If you were eligible for an Economic Impact payment, commonly referred to as a stimulus payment, but did not receive one or you received less than the full amount as an advanced payment in 2020 then you can claim the Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2020 tax return. To learn more, click here: Recovery Rebate Credit

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for sharing that information. It could be very helpful for anyone who might have a similar issue. Still, I could not access it through the search menu, as there was no "jump to stimulus" option.

In my case, I fabricated a mock return and ran quickly through it. After the Federal Review, I was prompted for the questionnaire. I can only assume there is a glitch in the software, as I was successful 2 of 3 times--strangely, it simply will not allow me to access it by any means on my original return.

I will totally delete my original and start over with a new file. Hopefully, I will get better results!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies