Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Projected availability of Forms 8911 and 6251 for 2021 Turbotax?

IRS appears to require a 6251 form for persons who claim an EV charging station.  However, I discovered that my desktop copy of turbotax for 2021 doesn't have the forms, yet.  Does Intuit know when the forms are projected to be available?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

58 Replies

Form 6251, Alternative Minimum Tax - Individuals

and 

Form 8911, Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property Credit

are both available in the TurboTax desktop editions

Click Forms.  Click Open Form.  Enter the form numbers

No, the forms are not final - in the corner they say DO NOT FILE (in red).

Software is current.

Form 8911: 3/17/2022

Form 6251: 2/24/2022

I find it interesting that I can find the forms (8911 and 6251) on IRS website at 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6251.pdf and 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf

Form 8911 appears to be final with a date of revision listed as January 2022 and the 6251 is clearly stamped 2021.  Why does Turbo Tax list the forms as not available; let alone projecting Form 8911 will not be available until 3/17/2022.  Am I missing something? 

The forms require approval for use in the program.

Why are these forms being delayed?  They are impacting pushing return filing out into a busier time for the IRS. Not good for anyone.

They need to be approved prior to be finalized in the program.

Exactly right.  Assuming the TT estimate for availability of the forms is accurate, and they aren't doing the under-promising and over-delivering thing, that wait is too much for me, which is why I  opted to download the forms from IRS, and copied the information from the draft TT version onto the IRS forms, printed out the set, and mailed my return to IRS on Thursday, with an expected delivery date of Tuesday.  I am expecting a nice refund, so I don't want to wait for TT to formally adopt the forms. My alternative was to not claim the credit on the EV charger, which would have also removed the 6251,  then electronically file the return, and when I receive my refund, file an amended return to get the refund due on the EV charger, --which was a relatively minor credit compared to the rest of the return. But, I hate processing amended returns, so I opted just to mail it in using the TT generated forms, plus the IRS forms for 8911 and 6251.

This is why I buy Turbo Tax every year. I file the 8911 every year and have to file another 6251 this year. NEVER have I been delayed like this on 2 common forms. The 8911 is so simple not sure why it cant be added, Very disappointed in TurboTax this year for pushing my filing into March. I will be lucky to get my return before June if I wait on Turbo Tax. We should get a refund on the software for having to wait.

I'm curious who has to "approve" the forms for use.  Although I've trusted TurboTax for over 20 years (and paid for this years product), I filed my federal and state returns yesterday with a competitor because I was unsure when TurboTax would be ready.  I know the forms are projected to be ready 3/17/2022 but I was worried if it was delayed further because I am due a refund.  It seems the "competition" already has approval to use the forms because I submitted and received notice my return was accepted by the IRS.  The real proof will be when I get my refund.  TurboTax has a proven record with me but I just couldn't keep waiting.  TurboTax seems to be off their game this year.  I will admit, the competitor's user interface was harder to navigate and the prompts did not seem as intuitive as TurboTax; but what good is a good UI and easy input if you can't file the return in the end.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

As  tagteam mentioned above, the forms  require approval for use in the Turbo Tax software. With that said, in this public forum, we do not have the specifics on why a form is not currently available, the specifics on approval etc. We apologize for any frustration. You may keep track of forms availability here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
HVS
Level 2

I am very disappointed!!!  This is the first year I tried turbo tax, I had heard nothing but good things.  When I originally had my taxes completed and ready to file I was given the expected dates of 02/10/22 and 02/17/22 then when February 10th came around the dates were extended to what they are now.  Pretty ridiculous if you ask me!!!!

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

We apologize for any inconvenience. The IRS determines the release dates of these forms. Please continue to check back for updates as these dates may change. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies