turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rwilliams16
Returning Member

Problem with errors identified on Form 8949

I have capital gains associated with a mutual fund reported on Form 1099-DIV.  I did not sell any asset, but the capital gain is attributable to their selling holdings within the mutual fund during 2020.  I get error messages saying I need to enter the date the asset acquired, sold, etc.  I had a similar capital gain reported the same way for 2019 and had no problem.  How do I get around this problem so I can complete my tax return??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

your amount to report is on 1099-DIV so go to that page.

You are working a 1099-B that you did not get.

rwilliams16
Returning Member

I spoke to an individual at Intuit (Shana), who helped me resolve the problem.  There was a back-up form being required to capture information related to the sale of an asset.  I had not sold an asset.  She said that there are software issues that surface sometimes early in the tax preparation season that have to be resolved.  She was able to show me how to delete the form and the problem was solved.  She was extremely helpful.

I get an error message because there is a zero on the line which says to leave it blank if zero.  This is the Form 8949 worksheet.  I tried to find a way to edit it unsuccessfully.  I printed the Tax Return and there seems to be no problem there.  Can I continue with the process , disregarding the error messages (2) ?

I have the same problem on from 8949, error message because there is a zero on the line which says to leave it blank if zero. Wash sale loss (code W).  But I cannot delete the 0 on the form.  Turbotax , please fix the bug.

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number hereIf you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies