turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Print command crashes TT. I have premier on a Mac

I have filed my returns and wanted to make a copy of my return.  When I click on the print button TT crashes and closes.  I have attempted to print 3 times and each time the same result.  Have printed other documents to check printer but everything else is find.  Anyone else having this problem?  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

35 Replies

Also the preview option in the file menu also crashes the program.

I am 

I'm having the same problem.  No ability to print or save forms as PDF's!!!

Hello,

I am having the same problem Feb 2020 for a 2019 return. Did your post get resolved? Any response from TT at all?

The Chuck posted this in response to a similar question and it worked for me -- I won't claim credit for having thought of it myself:  As you use the File Print command TT will default to "Any Printer."  Manually change that to your connected printer.  The Chuck also observed TT's software is asking the Mac to determine what printer to use and that Apple no longer uses this system -- beyond my expertise; I'm just passing on Chuck's answer and hope it solves your issue.

MSMS
Level 3

Same problem. I have trashed the preferences file and that didn't solve the problem. Also uninstalled and reinstalled from disk and that didn't solve the problem either. This is TTax Premier for Mac 2019. OS High Sierra 10.13.6

Support had no solutions and said they will get back to me in three days.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Here's an article that will offer troubleshooting ideas. 

Please see the article below.

Troubleshoot printing issues in TurboTax CD/Downlo

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MSMS
Level 3

Update to my previous post: Was successful at saving as PDF after doing so from the task bar instead of from the tab on the screen. Went directly to the Form 1040 to print and sure enough it was in my document file.
No thanks to support as it seemed to be resolved without intervention on their part. To contrary they sent me to a document about printing issues. Some glitch I suppose but I can’t get back the hours struggling to resolve the issue.

I have the same problem with Home & Business 2020 version. Can't print, can't save to PDF. I can't believe that no one from TT that actually knows anything will come on here and resolve the problem. I tried what others have suggested - nothing works for me.

Yup had no luck then without doing anything I was able to save to PDF. Last year. This year no problem.  By the way you’ll need to upgrade to Mojave iOS for next year.  ☹️

I'm having the same problem (TT on a Macbook AIr running High Sierra) except it's with Deluxe.   Pretty lame.   Maybe it's a plot to make sure we have to e-file our state taxes and pay the fee.

@RustyShackleford wrote:

I'm having the same problem (TT on a Macbook AIr running High Sierra) except it's with Deluxe.   Pretty lame.   Maybe it's a plot to make sure we have to e-file our state taxes and pay the fee.

Is it an actual crash or just a spinning beachball?

I have seen several "beach ball" reports but have not been successful to reproduce it.  In other users cases,it has always "come clear" on it's own.   Sometimes after restarting into the "safe mode" holding she shift key down it will print.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

I am guessing that it might be some other Mac process that is running and hogging a resource that TurboTax needs to convert the state to pdf format since it always seems to happen before the print dialog box appears.

It could also be a memory hog (you can check memory usage with Utilities -> Activity Monitor and select memory.)

It is hard to fix an issue that cannot be reproduced - and I have sure tried.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Sorry, yeah, spinning wheel.   I'll try some of your suggestions.   Weird thing is, when it asks to print returns before e-file, it did ok; but that was only federal.

Yep, just tried to print federal-only and it worked fine (to a pdf file).   What is so different about state ?

Memory pressure is "green".

@RustyShackleford wrote:

Sorry, yeah, spinning wheel.   I'll try some of your suggestions.   Weird thing is, when it asks to print returns before e-file, it did ok; but that was only federal.

Yes, that is what is strange - it is always only the state, but no common state.  If you go to File -> Print you can select Federal and/or state.  Fed always seems to print, but state hangs - it is a mystery.

(I keep trying to print state hoping to get it to hang so I can rune the Activity Monitor "spin dump" tool to try to get a dump of the hung process to forward to the developers to analyze.)

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies