Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Print command crashes TT. I have premier on a Mac

I keep learning more about this all the time.   It has been my impression that it was hanging during the tax-to-pdf conversion,  but if "Save to PDF" works then it would appear that the tax-to-pdf is working fine and it is sending that converted data to the print dialog that fails.    Since TurboTax has nothing to do with the print dialog (TurboTax only calls the Apple print function and hands off the converted pdf data to the Apple print function.     If it is hanging when trying to displaying the print dialog box (where a printer is selected), then this might be an Apple issue and not TurboTax at all.  This could be something blocking the TurboTax to Apple print routine hand-off  somehow.  (Indeed hard to trouble shoot without a computer that is having the problem to analyze).

If the "Save to PDF" works then as a workaround, the tax return pages in the resulting pdf could be printed using a pdf reader.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you! Print to PDF from the Save menu does work. I have a complete PDF for my records.

As for the tax-to-PDF printing problem, it hangs as soon as I press ^P. I don't see a dialog box, just the spinning disk,

galanti_mac
Returning Member

I'm using Turbo Tax Home and Business on a Mac and I have the same problem with the program crashing when I try to preview or print.

Probable the last year I'll use TT. Good thing I didn't wait til the last minute.

@galanti_mac wrote:

I'm using Turbo Tax Home and Business on a Mac and I have the same problem with the program crashing when I try to preview or print.

Probable the last year I'll use TT. Good thing I didn't wait til the last minute.

Does it actually crash or just a spinning wheel for a long time?

If a spinning wheel then wait (up to 45 minutes) and see it it prints.

This has been traced by some users to be virus software blocking the print call for a long time but it eventually prints and after it prints once it no longer hangs.

TurboTax issues a print call to the built in Apple print but something blocks it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
galanti_mac
Returning Member

No the program crashes whenever I try to print bot even preview the return. The returns have been filed and accepted by the IRS and Indiana but I need to print the form that goes with my Indiana payment.

As I said printing is not known to crash but you can get a spinning beach ball for a long time.

If an actual crash is there a crash report in the Applications -> Utilities -> Console - Crash Reports with a time stamp of the crash?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies