turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Preparing Installation...

When I try to install the downloaded program, it gets as far as "Preparing Installation..." and then it just sits there forever. I've been using TT for a zillion years with no problems. Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I did all that, and then I unregistered and re-registered the Windows Installer service (and rebooted again), that did the trick.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Make sure you check for "Windows" updates  before installing TTX.  Any waiting updates will block TTX installation.

Check for any, the reboot anyhow, no matter what...and try again.

........AND Make Sure you rt-click on the installation file and "Run as administrator"  Don't just double-click on it

Beyond that

Work with Customer Support on the phone:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I did all that, and then I unregistered and re-registered the Windows Installer service (and rebooted again), that did the trick.

Debbie68

Hello. I looked at the solutions regarding this problem. Thank you for the tip on right-clicking as an administrator. After doing this I was able to move forward, however it took 5-10 minutes for the install to finish.

frank1492

For years the startup of TT has been frustrating. The absence of progress bars at some stages, coupled with mega-slow installation makes one think the process is hung. No clue as to why they don't fix that!!!

frank1492

The entire process with updates just took about an hour! Some of the advice may be good but I'd just recommend great patience. If you think it's hung, go out for  a long walk.

This works fast on my Windows 10 PC and possibly will work with Windows 8 and 11, according to the original source.

1. press CNTRL+ALT+DEL and open the Task Manager.
2. click More Details in the bottom left corner.

3.On the processes tab, click to select Windows Installer under Background processes.

4. Click the End Task button (it's down at the bottom of the page).

5, Install TurboTax again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies