turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Paul162

Do i list my dependent children's income on my Virginia state return. I thought I saw it but now cannot find it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Do i list my dependent children's income on my Virginia state return. I thought I saw it but now cannot find it.

Same here- I still don't understand why I saw that screen with boxes for each child's AGI. And I don't understand why I can't find it again.
Patrice

No, you would not list your dependent children income on your Virginia state return.  

If your children earned income it would be included in their gross income and must be reported on his or her individual tax return.

Residents of Virginia (including dependents and students) must file an individual income tax return if:

• Single, and Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more
  • Married, filing a joint or combined return, and total Virginia adjusted gross income for both spouses is $23,900 or more
  • Married, filing a separate return, and Virginia adjusted gross income is $11,950 or more

If your children's income is below the filing threshold (as stated above) for their filing status, but Virginia income tax was withheld from any payments you received, file a return to apply for a refund of the Virginia individual income tax withheld.

I too am being prompted to input Virgina AGI for my two children.  Do I input the $ from box16 from the W-2 for the few thousand dollars shown?  We are talking about less than 5k...

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.  You would use the VA W2 box 16 amounts.  These inputs appear to be for the VA "Low income individuals credit" if the family adjusted gross income falls below the poverty level.  

According to the VA DOR,   Family Virginia adjusted gross income includes the total Virginia adjusted gross income for you, your spouse, and your dependents, even if they do not file their own Virginia returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies