turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1040-es Payment Voucher, do I have to make all payments?

I would like to use the Form 1040 es payment vouchers to cut the surprise of my 2019 tax bill. Do I have to use all of the coupon payment vouchers or may I use whichever suits me?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
WillK
Intuit Alumni

No, you technically do not have to use all the vouchers, Turbo Tax just calculated them for you based on your tax situation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
WillK
Intuit Alumni

No, you technically do not have to use all the vouchers, Turbo Tax just calculated them for you based on your tax situation. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After I've sent the voucher payments, how do I report them for the 2019 tax year? Will the IRS send me a form  of proof or do I have to manually report that I made these payments?

No you don't get any receipts.  You need to keep track of them yourself.  Your bank account is your proof and backup.  You need to manually enter them into your tax return.

You can type estimates paid in the search box at the top of your return and click Find and it will give you a link to Jump To it.

OR

To enter Federal or State Estimated Taxes Paid, including a state estimated payment made in January for the prior year, go to

Federal on left or at top.  Personal (Home & Business)

Deductions and Credits at top

Then scroll way down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid

Estimated Taxes - click the Start or Update button

Carl
Level 15

Actually, you don't have to use the vouchers at all if you don't want to. You can pay your quarterly taxes online if you like, at www.irs.gov/payments. Then print your receipt.

Do take note that if you have not yet made *ANY* quarterly payments for 2019, then you are late with the first three quarters. There is nothing on this planet that you can do to change that either. So if you want to use the voucher to pay your quarterly taxes and "catch up", you only need to pay the 4th quarter and just pay enough for the 4th quarter to cover "ALL' quarterly taxes. So it's possible that (as an example) you could have paid nothing for the first three quarters. But if you figure you "should" have paid $500 per quarter, then just send a 4th quarter payment of $2000 and you're done.

Then at tax filing time you "could" be assessed an underpayment penalty or late payment penalty for the first three quarters. But it really depends on your specific and explicit situation. It's also possible you'd not be assessed "any" late payment or non-payment charges at all.

Thank you for all the responses. I made all quarterly 2019 voucher payments. I was wondering how to report my estimated voucher payments for the 2019 tax year. I wasn't sure if I needed to wait for a form or manually enter it myself since I've never needed to do it before.

Anonymous
Not applicable

you need to manually enter them.  you will receive no form.    if you are using online or step-by-steo for desktop there will be questions about tax payments.  on desktop in forms mode you can enter them on tax payments worksheet.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies