Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax 2019 Crashing on Windows 7

Solution 5/20/20:  right click on the TT icon, select "Properties", then  "Compatibility" tab, then check the box "run this program in compatibility mode for:" then select Windows 7, then run as administrator.

In my case I didn't have to select "run as administrator" but apparently some do.

***************************************************************************************************

Turbotax 2019 started crashing any time I tried to modify a return beginning 5/14/20.  I had no problems since 4/4 when I downloaded TT to my Windows 7 desktop.

bluepost22

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
yrn
Level 1

Just got off with TTax Tech and have a suggestion from them that may help.

Wonderful tech named Chris who pulled in level 2 support.  She took her time and patiently went through trying to fix this.  We may have solved the problem.

Prior to launching TT, right click your program icon and select "properties".

In the properties box, select the "compatibility" tab.

On the compatibility tab CHECK the box next to "run this program in compatibility mode"

Checking this box will open a drop down menu.  In the drop down menu select "Windows 7"

CHECK the box next to "run as administrator".

Then click "Apply"

Then click "OK"

After doing this i seem to be able to continue a return that had been crashing for me.

I have not yet finished the return so this may yet be some false hope... but it may just do the trick.

good luck

View solution in original post

33 Replies

Both premier and Business install just fine on my beefy Win 7 desktop.

What tech support told me is "We aren't going to give you any tech support since you're on Win 7". 

No escalation, no level 2, you've tried uninstall/reinstall etc and that's it.

bluepost22

vpulumati

That sucks.  I agree with you guys.  If it is not supported on Windows 7, they should clearly state that.  My TurboTax Home and Business is working fine until today when it installed updates.  Whenever I click on my Charitable Deductions, it crashes.  I didn,t talk to the support yet since they are off today.  Did anyone experience this?  I installed on another Windows 7 and it crashes on that also.  My guess is that they have some updates that are not programmed properly.  I am in the IT profession and know a bit of this.  

Quicken  <--> Microsoft

Quicken  <--> Apple

Intuit         <--> Microsoft

Legend:

<-->    Fingers pointing at each other.

Yes, vpulumati, I think it was an update that broke my copy too.  If only I had disabled auto-updating.  And if there was a way to bypass the initial update TT does when you install ...

The crash mini-dump implies something to do with .net.  I tried uninstalling/reinstalling .net but no go.

In my case I can bring up an existing return, look at forms etc, but if I try to modify anything the crash is *immediate*, as if the program has lost a key privilege.

I like to think that TT engineers are working feverishly behind the scenes to deliver a new update that will fix all.

Here's my crash dump.  I believe clr.dll is part of .net.  I have .net 4.5.2 installed, as per the TT spec.

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: TurboTax.exe
Application Version: 2019.41.30.244
Application Timestamp: 5eba5031
Fault Module Name: clr.dll
Fault Module Version: 4.0.30319.34209
Fault Module Timestamp: 5348961e
Exception Code: 80131506
Exception Offset: 002cb81f
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 6a9b
Additional Information 2: 6a9b8e4a69458d7ee1603e974369b2a5
Additional Information 3: cacc
Additional Information 4: cacc54342908f8c8ee9d0f58641475d4

I'm getting the same crash in crt.dll as bluepost22. I have .net version 4.8 so it is not a .NET version issue. This issue is indicative of Intuit not testing under Windows 7 even though Windows 7 is supposed to be supported. The crash behavior started after the latest update. My updates were installed on 16 May. Prior to that, program updates were installed on 9 May and I didn't have any issues between 9 May and the update on 16 May. I believe the update that caused the problem was the program update released on 14 May.

Intuit needs to fix this issue. The program is not usable otherwise. To tell customers that using TT on Windows 7 is a use at their own risk proposition is a cop-out and doesn't relieve Intuit of their software quality responsibilities.

Actually it does. No software company will promise that their software will work, or even that it will do what it is supposed to do, nor take any responsibility for problems or related losses incurred by you. That's how it works in the software biz.

yrn
Level 1

Just got off with TTax Tech and have a suggestion from them that may help.

Wonderful tech named Chris who pulled in level 2 support.  She took her time and patiently went through trying to fix this.  We may have solved the problem.

Prior to launching TT, right click your program icon and select "properties".

In the properties box, select the "compatibility" tab.

On the compatibility tab CHECK the box next to "run this program in compatibility mode"

Checking this box will open a drop down menu.  In the drop down menu select "Windows 7"

CHECK the box next to "run as administrator".

Then click "Apply"

Then click "OK"

After doing this i seem to be able to continue a return that had been crashing for me.

I have not yet finished the return so this may yet be some false hope... but it may just do the trick.

good luck

cfw4

Just updated all my turbotax sw this am and now sw is crashing every five minutes - all the 2019 sw was working fine until today  and I have been on Windows7 the whole time - Haven't been able to get answers from Intuit about what they did in the todays updates, although they did agree that the 2019 sw should work with Windows 7 (2020 turbotax will not work with Windows 7)  -  Any suggestions???

cg29
Level 1

On Windows 7 professional Service Pack1. Purchased and downloaded Turbotax 2019 Home & Business (applied updates). The app would crash very early in the data entry, consistently at point where I clicked 'Continue' on entering personal info.

I tried the suggested method of going into Compatibility settings for Turbotax, and enabling 'Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)'.

At this point, the software let me get past that roadblock where it would always crash.

I'm now into entering further data. Crossing fingers.

(I have been using Turbotax EVERY YEAR SINCE 1998 and this year (2019) is the 1st time the software has ever crashed).

g0

Thank you it worked 😍

I tested the solution from yrn this afternoon and TurboTax is much more stable now.  I'll try again this evening when I go to finish my tax return and I'll post an update.

@yrn,

Thank you so much for posting. I have applied your excellent instructions and have not had a single crash though I haven't used TT for more than a few minutes since. I am cautiously optimistic that the issue is solved. Who knew that it could be that simple? I had considered trying to roll back to a previous restore point, going to H&R Block, upgrading my laptop to Windows 10 (I'll have to eventually), or buying a new win 10 machine but didn't really like any of those options. I'm very grateful that you were patient enough to work with TT support, that you got someone caring and competent enough to get a viable solution, and that you posted what you learned to help others like myself.

I promised an update.  I just completed my federal and state taxes without any more issues.

It looks like @yrn 's solution works perfectly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies