Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pross98

My wife's legal name changed while our tax return was being processed and shorted us a huge amount because the name did not match the SSN. The lines are busy! Help!

I've been trying to reach the IRS for months and we only have until the beginning of May to reach them. The lines are always busy and they shorted us a substantial amount we could really use with a new child on the way... What should I do?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My wife's legal name changed while our tax return was being processed and shorted us a huge amount because the name did not match the SSN. The lines are busy! Help!

You said "we only have until the beginning of May to reach them."  What is happening in May that will prevent you from reaching them.  May is only 3 days away and it seems unlikely this will be resolved by then.

I suggest you refer to https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/a-name-change-affects-a-tax-return

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

pross98

I think I have until may 6th and nothing has stopped me. I've called every day and get the same message. basically.... Our lines our busy. Call back tomorrow.

What happens on MAY 6? 

pross98

They said after that date they will not allow me to resolve it

I'm not an expert on this, but I have doubts about being unable to resolve this problem after a given date.

Who told you this?  IRS? SSA? Other?

I previously suggested reviewing https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/a-name-change-affects-a-tax-return

Did you do that?

Have you filed  Form SS-5 with the Social Security Administration?  In person at an office or via mail?

If via mail, did you send it USPS registered mail, with a return receipt to ensure they received it?

Did you enclose the needed support documents?

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ss-5.pdf

If not, I suggest you gather your forms and documentation and make an appointment at your local Social Security office to submit your paperwork.  Alternately, you could make an appointment to have them check to see if your paperwork was received.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

Your spouses name not matching the SSN would only affect the ability to e-file.

That has nothing to do with processing the return or your refund.     Why do you thing the name change affected the amont of refund?

Who told you that you only have until May? Did you receive an IRS letter - if so what is the letter number at the top like a CPxxxx or LTRxxxx?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Did you efile the return or mail it in ???    Did you get an adjusted refund yet ?   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies