Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Josef2
Returning Member

My wife's adjusted gross income is rejected on efile even though we filed jointly, I've refilled making sure to use the correct number, reject

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
ReginaM
Expert Alumni

My wife's adjusted gross income is rejected on efile even though we filed jointly, I've refilled making sure to use the correct number, reject

If you filed your federal return last year with the filing status "Married Filing Jointly", then you are going to put the same number for both your AGI and your spouse's AGI, even if your spouse did not earn any money last year.  If you filed jointly, the IRS sees you as a single taxable entity, and you have the same AGI.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Josef2
Returning Member

That's exactly what I did, I won't even begin to describe my experience with the IRS, you would think I made it up.

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

@Josef2

If the IRS rejected your return because they stated you submitted an incorrect AGI and you are sure you entered a correct one we suggest that you check the IRS copy of your return versus the copy you have. Sometimes the IRS makes adjustments to tax returns. To do this, you can order a tax return transcript. You can also mail in a paper return. 

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for more information: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/what-if-i-entered-the-correct-agi-and-i-m-still-ge....

bgilbert

I been having a similar problem, except that it's rejecting my AGI from last year.  TurboTax is inserting the correct number from last year's return and I have checked the IRS transcript and the numbers match.  The IRS has rejected the efile 3 times already.  Went thru the same thing last year and ended up just filing a paper return.

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Many 2020 e-filed returns have been rejected over an "incorrect" 2019 AGI - in many cases where the 2019 AGI was entered correctly.

The two most effective workarounds are to enter "0" as the AGI or to check that you did not file a return in 2019.

See What if I entered the correct AGI and I’m still getting an e-file reject?  for additional information and your options if the above choices do not work.

Pete Day

How do I check what was put in there, which I sure is correct and the same for my wife and I.  I do not want it rejected again

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

You would review the AGI as it is on the return in Turbo Tax. 

If you would like further assistance, please follow the instructions here to contact us by phone. @Pete Day

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies