turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My Turbotax 2019 for Mac no longer opens

Thank you kookla143! You saved me after days of anxiety and frustration requiring me to go to my state tax commission because my payment went through but not my tax return.  I was finally able to print out my Federal return!

I don't even have the folders in my /Library that others are showing as a solution. For example I don't have a file named "com.intuit.TurboTax.2019.plist" in my /Library/Preference folder. I cannot understand how this isn't solved by June!!!!! who can help those of us that still haven't filed taxes?

@cc_46033 wrote:

I don't even have the folders in my /Library that others are showing as a solution. For example I don't have a file named "com.intuit.TurboTax.2019.plist" in my /Library/Preference folder. I cannot understand how this isn't solved by June!!!!! who can help those of us that still haven't filed taxes?

Then either you do not have the software installed on yiur Mac or you are looking in the wrong Library such as the system Library and not your User Library.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

You must be in ~/Library and not /Library.     (~ stands for the User)

• In the Finder, select Go Go To Folder.
  • Enter ~/Library and select Go.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

All - 

I believe I have found the solution. The issue is a hidden file that does not show up on the Finder. You need to find the hidden file in a Terminal session. Root of the issue is when Turbo tax crashes, it produces a file, and this file is preventing a new installation or new instance of TurboTax from starting. OK, on to the solution:

1. Open the Terminal app (using the magnifying glass at top right and type 'Terminal')

2. type: cd /User,  now you are at the folder one-level above the user folder

3. type:  find . -name "*Turbo*"      (you need the "." here)

4. you will see lots of messages about 'operation not permitted', don't worry.

5. There should be line showing up as something like this:   './<user>/Library/Caches/KSCrash/Turbotax'

6. This is the file that's causing the trouble. You need to delete the folder using the following:

7. type: cd

8. type: cd Library/Caches/KSCrash

9. type: rm -r TurboTax

That's it!  You might need to do the uninstall and reinstall, but the root of the problem is this hidden crash folder.

You are welcome -:)

@safer-at-home Wow - this worked! I uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, but the instructions didn't mention this file location, so I didn't know it was there.

Thanks for letting me know about this secret fix. I've only been trying to get this to work since May.

Intuit has been absolutely no help whatsoever. I've been so disappointed with my experience that I sent a letter to the CEO in May. They didn't respond to that letter, either.

Thanks @safer-at-home!

Unfortunately the fix is too little too late to my detriment.  I filed my Federal taxes by mail in February and although I am due a refund on the order of $5,500, I have not received it because of COVID. 

Thanks Turbotax you really screwed up here and I am paying for it.  I will be calling for a refund and some compensation.  

TT2019 really sucked and you did nothing about it. 

THIS WORKED. It is a simplest solution to the problem. I was on Catalina. My location of cache was the same as the one mentioned above.

Safer-at-home: You rock. 

Note:

1. I did not reinstall TT

2. After deleting the cache, I used finder,  went to Applications and started TT.

3. My exact location of the original crash was when I tried to pay to e-file state return.

4. I also selected to "send error" to Intuit. I believe this is irrelevant.

5. TT continues to crash if you attempt to e-file state return and try to pay using your intuit account. So DO NOT attempt to pay using your intuit account. Instead use the option to call Intuit Sales and pay online. You will receive key to enter in the TT. Expect to wait on the phone for hours.

Contact link is no longer valid

Here's a faster way -- and easier for those who are unfamiliar with Terminal programming.

And THANK YOU safer-at-home for identifying the general mechanism. 

Here's the faster way:

1) Go to your finder

2) Push and hold the option key, then select the GO menu at the top of the screen.  Holding option reveals the Library folder which is otherwise hidden.

3) Open the Library folder

4) In the Library folder, open the Caches folder

5) in Caches, find and open KSCrash

6) Move the Turbotax folder that's in the KSCrash folder to the trash

7) Voila, Turbotax will open again

After hours with TT support nothing. Multiple times of removing a list of files and reinstalling. This worked. Thank you!

BUZZWELLMAN
Returning Member

Same issue for me on 7/8/20.  After i paid for Audit Defense on the Intiut website, it put me back to TT and immediately crashed.  i am unable to open. Does anyone have an update.  

As of yesterday, official TT response is that they are aware of the bug. But there is no solution. The recommended work around is to create another account, uninstall, remove all TT related files, and reinstall TT.

i tried it and it did not work for me. I may not have removed every file.

therefore the only solution I know is the one shown above, remove the cache either using Finder or shell prompt. And then call support to pay and get pin for efiling.

Thank you so much.  This got me back up.  I had to print and file manually (after paying of course)

@rmashruwala wrote:

As of yesterday, official TT response is that they are aware of the bug. But there is no solution. The recommended work around is to create another account, uninstall, remove all TT related files, and reinstall TT.

i tried it and it did not work for me. I may not have removed every file.

therefore the only solution I know is the one shown above, remove the cache either using Finder or shell prompt. And then call support to pay and get pin for efiling.

This is the list of files to remove in this FAQ:

Here is a FAQ for how to uninstall Mac
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901210-remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac
Also if present remove: ~Library/Caches/KSCrash/TurboTax

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

That worked for me to get TurboTax opened again, but I still can't submit filling.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies