turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My Turbotax 2019 for Mac no longer opens

After talking with Support for 3 times the last advice was to use windows instead Mac.

I tried but found other problems when entering data. it won't accept cents and using tab to move cursor to another field was changing the current value with lots os zeros BEFORE the coma.

Anyway, I found this instruction to remove turbotax completely on mac. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

it follow it and now my mac is finally opening Turbo Tax. 

Finishing my tax today and done for this year

Finally got 2019 TT premier to work. Recap: I have a mid2012 MacBook Pro w Mohave 10.14.6

With respect to the program crashing and not opening, here is my input after 10+ hours on my own and 10+ hours on phone w/ multiple tech people. Successively they were better and better. Shout out to Sharon in Virginia and Travis in Tennessee. I’d hire these 2 folks for my company in a heart beat. 
1) your tax file should be ok, just be sure and use the file menu and hit save before quitting or printing and especially before efiling. Good common computer practice w anything. 
2) Print your return before you attempt to efile. This is important. If nothing works after this, you’ll at least have something to copy and mail. 
3) DO NOT allow an error report to be transmitted to Turbotax. It will have a title of “It looks like we hit a snag”. You MUST close this message and NOT select “Send to TurboTax” Doing so will quit your program and render it inoperative. Then you’ll have to uninstall, run a program like CCleaner ( with tech help only unless you’re brave) and reinstall another TT 2019. 
4) efile your Federal first. You can separate the two tasks ( federal from state). Then hit save again. 
5) efile the state return. Here’s where I had another snag. After declining the Audit protection, a few more dialogue boxes appeared in succession after I hit next or continue. The trouble spot for me was a pop up statement that mentioned my state return file had been saved. Hitting the big “CLOSE” button would crash the program again necessitating starting over at step 3 above. Again, the tax file with all of my data was just fine. After too many times to count, my final attempt worked when instead of hitting the big CLOSE button associated with the TT program mentioned above, I hit a small oval close option at the very bottom associated with the Mac OS which allowed the process to continue to FINALLY a transmit button. Not sure if that was coincidence ( or God himself had pity on me and intervened miraculously ). 

Had anyone received help for this? I was told they are still in the investigation stage and no eta... the only other option is to use a PC Windows.

I paid for the state e-file and the program shut down. It never opened again. They don't have a solution and if you want to avoid days of stress, request the Windows/PC version from support and ask someone you know to borrow there computer.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@SRoberts1

If you have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and are still having issues you can contact support. 

This FAQ will provide you the steps to contact an agent. https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ymhh

Experiencing the exact same problem as Renatom on March 24, 2020 so issue is still unresolved. 

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

@Ymhh Were you able to uninstall and then reinstall your TurboTax software? Did this resolve the issue?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

yes, after following these instructions:https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

and reinstalling from DVD...

No, I spent about 4 hours on the phone with TT tech assistance and removed and reinstalled the software about a half dozen times.  I was able to reopen the files and print my returns but still could not e-file.  A real disappointment that cost me too much time, hair loss, aggravation, and $$.  I am still waiting for a substantial refund.  

No thanks TTax, this year your software was a total bonk!

TT tech support is totally useless. After so many weeks they have not only not fixed the problem, but are not even able to give customers the correct information on how to handle it. This does not bode well for the future. I will switch for next year to another tax software.

Yes, the solution is to COMPLETELY remove TT (not just removing the app). I used a free utility that searched for all the linked filed, and it worked. Then reinstall. Then SAVE a printable version of the return at every step. Start filing ONLY the Federal Return. For the State return I had some further problems and got some  help from TT so I do not know what the best path is. But I read a later message outlining all the steps.

03/27/2020

Same problem under macOS Catalina 10.15.3

after paying for state efile app crashed and wouldn't launch, even after restart, reinstall, deletion, reboot, reinstall......

Sometimes starts with small bling horizontal window saying verifying....

I'm experiencing the exact same problem.  The first support guy said this was happening when filing state and that's when it happened to me.  From that point I could not open TTX19.  I DID try upgrading to Catalina...same problem.  That was of no help.  Of course, I've downloaded new TTX software multiple time and that does not help.  My TTX18 opens just fine, so it's not an Mac issue...it's in TTX.  They've known about this for some time with no resolution.  I've used the software for 18 years and occasionally needed "support" and the issue was always able to be resolved.  Not this time.  Looks like I'm going to have to buy a PC to do my taxes.  

I am having the same problem.  I have installed Catalina and the most recent update.  I have checked my privacy settings as instructed by TurboTax and have uninstalled and reinstalled the TurboTax 2019.  I purchased a disc from Costco.  I worked fine (except it was exceptionally slow to open) to prepare a return for my son and to begin my return, but when I tried to reopen it a few days ago to continue with my return, it failed to open. So far, no help from TurboTax.

I have spoken with 4 different customer service agents.  None could help resolve this.

I am astonished TT shows this as solved.  I tried the one post that stated how to fix the problem and it did not work.  I removed all traces of TT, reinstalled and thought it would work since TT started the update.  As soon as the update completed, bam, right back to where I was.  Tried a complete uninstall again and no luck.  It does not take a mental giant to understand the last TurboTax update did this.  In my case I successfully filed my return, federal and state, then as I tried to file my mother’s return the program crashed after purchasing the state e-file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies