turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hshah0421

My stimulus check was sent to a closed account. This was not the account I used for my current file.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

My stimulus check was sent to a closed account. This was not the account I used for my current file.

It depends when the 2019 tax return was filed. It appears that the 2018 information was used instead. 

What your next steps are to retrieve the check depend on what type of account was closed from last year. If the account is no longer operational and is completely closed, a paper check would be issued. However, if the account still exists but is not in use, then you will need to get access to it.

• If you no longer have access to your Turbo Visa Debit Card, don’t worry. You may still be able to get access to it.
    • If you have registered your card and know your login credentials, request a replacement card by signing in to your Turbo Visa Debit Card account using this link:  Report a Lost or Stolen Turbo Debit Card 

• If you don’t know your account login information, call 888-285-4169 for assistance. 

You will not be charged for a replacement card or check; standard fees will be waived or refunded to youDue to unprecedented traffic they may experience some delays on the site or phone line. We know everyone is anxious to get their stimulus money and we appreciate your patience. For additional questions, including how to receive a check, Turbo Visa Debit Card site: Turbo Card Stimulus Check.

Or, go directly to IRS: Economic Impact Payment Get My Payment Resource  to update your details.

@Hshah0421

stopka333
Returning Member

Just how is the check sent if my card has been completely closed from 2018?  Been searching for hours and nowhere can I find that information.  I'm able to log-in to turbodebitcard.com, but it doesn't give me any privileges to access anything. Says the card is closed.  So, do I do nothing and wait for a check from TurboTax?  Is there a way to expedite the process?

stopka333
Returning Member

the site just reads I have a balance of $0.00.

stopka333
Returning Member

I went to the IRS site and it said the funds were successfully transferred to the bank account (8847, which I assume is turbotax) ok.  I just dont have an active card, mine was closed from 2018.  And, I received the official email from TurboTax yesterday.

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

• I have access to my Turbo Visa Debit Card: If you have access to your Turbo Visa Debit Card, there is nothing more you need to do. You will be able to immediately use the stimulus funds upon deposit. You can sign in to your account to check your balance here: https://secure.turbodebitcard.intuit.com/login 

• I no longer have access to my Turbo Visa Debit Card: If you no longer have access to your Turbo Visa Debit Card, don’t worry. If you have registered your card and know your login credentials, you can request a replacement card by signing in to your Turbo Visa Debit Card account (https://secure.turbodebitcard.intuit.com/account/report-lost-or-stolen). If you don’t know your account login information, call 888-285-4169 for assistance. You will not be charged for a replacement card or check; standard fees will be waived or refunded to you.

Due to unprecedented traffic you may experience some delays on the site or phone line. We know everyone is anxious to get their stimulus money and we appreciate your patience.   

For additional questions, including how to receive a check, please go to the Turbo Visa Debit Card site: https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/turbo-card/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stopka333
Returning Member

That didn't help.  That's all the same stuff I see on the TurboTax site. My card is closed.  I can still login. It says I have a balance of $0.00, but I dont have privileges to do anything.  I visit the IRS site and it says the funds were transferred.  And, I received the official email from TurboTax yesterday that the stimulus was arriving.   I saw that if my card has been closed, it will be sent by check. But how, through TurboTax?  Do I just wait, and if so, for how long approx?  Thanks

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If the account is closed the deposit is returned to the IRS and they will mail you a check.  No idea how long that will take as they just started rolling out the payments and it is a two week process for the initial deposits.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
stopka333
Returning Member

ok, thanks. When you say "account" you mean the card, hopefully. Because I can log into my account, but the card is closed. Just reads $0.00 balance. The IRS even said it was already sent to bank account ending in 8874 (which I assume is the TurboTax bank #) or something like that.

Same exact issue thanks for posting! Awaiting a solution!

Ai3
Returning Member

The IRS says it’s posted to my account today my account says it’s zero dollars my card says it doesn’t exist But it saying nothings posted to the account number and account number is the same as the IRS number

miles2021
Returning Member

I'm having the exact same problem. How do we fix it? I've tried calling the number on the back of the card all day and it just has me on hold forever. 

Ai3
Returning Member

The IRS says it was sent to the right account number but is the account number the same number as my last four digits of my card number because if so it’s different

Ai3
Returning Member

I was told it was going to be posted today and all day it’s not been on there sometimes it says my account doesn’t even exist

miles2021
Returning Member

So I download the app & on the app it says my account is closed. So since my account is closed the Green Dot Bank (turbo cards bank) rejected my payment & it will be sent in the mail. Maybe the same thing happened to you? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies