turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My stimulus check is wrong. What now?

Reconciliation on a taxpayers 2020 taxes?!  Is that so I can pay off the debt with what would then be my ex landlord and still have a nasty eviction on my record so I won't be able to rent from anyone anymore???  So this whole thing cause struggle for me all year and by the time 2021 rolls around i can file my tax refund while being homeless with a kid and feeling like wow if they had just given me my stimulus instead of keeping it to pay old debts, i wouldn't have an eviction and maybe I would be able to provide for myself and my kid right now...and all the while trying to resolve the debt incurred with my then ex landlord all because of covid19.

I know I'm not alone in this.  It just pissed me off that the same protections on our stimulus money from the bush administration werent placed around these stimulus payments as well, which would have been the ideal thing to do considering these payments are for food and rent and utilities, not prior payment arrangements or debt collections or non payments of old bills....yes would have been the smarter thing to do because lots and lots of American taxpayers currently owe debt of some kind.....im betting over half but idk.  So to take the food off people's tables (and out of their children's mouths) and in the pockets of debt collectors isnt right.  One of my friends got theirs and it is posting as a tax refund....if that what it has been named then yeah tax interceptions are valid and debt collections can come seize it before it ever leaves the irs.....the bush administrations payments posted as stimulus.  Taxpayers were provided protections because of that....im sorry, this be not the place to vent this stuff and maybe I'm rambling but this ticks me off alot and im not the only one I am certian.

But of course MOST people's income IS going to be less so maybe they should just release now what they said they would give us all now when we NEED it (not after we are all evicted or forclosed on) because all incomes ARE less already for 2020 taxes, duh (not to you, but to the irs for not seeing that right out the gate)

I did not get mine for my daughter either so confused. 

@Msthavary07  wrote:

I did not get mine for my daughter either so confused. 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment-frequently-asked-questions

For security reasons, the IRS plans to mail a letter about the economic impact payment to the taxpayer’s last known address within 15 days after the payment is paid. The letter will provide information on how the payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the payment. If a taxpayer is unsure they’re receiving a legitimate letter, the IRS urges taxpayers to visit IRS.gov first to protect against scam artists.

@jsenakievich1 - the plan IS to release now what you are due based on 2018/ 2019 tax returns.  But no system is perfect and there are certainly going to be errors. 

But the "settle up" was designed to correct for such errors. it's written into the CARES ACt.   If you are owed more stimulus, it would be settled up on the 2020 tax return.....if you are owed LESS, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY IT BACK. 

think about those who had children born in 2019, but the IRS used their 2018 tax return for the stimulus.  That will be resolved on the 2020 tax return.  In fact, children born in 2020 will get their parents an additional $500 next year. 

so for once, the government set up a 'heads you win, tails I lose' process. 

I got my stimulus check but how do I go about getting my dependent check 

@valerinascott523 wrote:

I got my stimulus check but how do I go about getting my dependent check 

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

For security reasons, a letter about the Payment will be mailed to each recipient’s last known address within 15 days after the Payment is made. The letter will provide information on how the Payment was made and how to report any failure to receive the Payment.

You guys have already received a check in the mail??  My info on the irs website says will be mailed out the 24th would I get it before then or expect next week??

OK so my question is when I filed our income tax I messed up and my husband got the money direct deposit to his account but then I had to get everything amended by adding the kids to the income tax that I’ve already filed because I messed up trying to file on my own but now that everything is situated we did get that married couples stimulus check direct deposited to his account but we didn’t get the $500 per child. We have 3 kiddos. Do you think since I got it amended by adding the kids later is why I might be getting that half in a check?  Or do you think I will get that on my next year‘s income tax 

I did check to see about our stimulus check it said it will be deposited April 15 it was actually deposited that same day but it was in my husbands bank account pending the day before I think you will get it on that day it says we are on the other half are still waiting that child credit 

you'll eventually get the stimulus for the 3 children (all under 17 years old, right?)

the IRS will be sending a letter shortly confirming all the details of the payment you received.  Could be a method on their to follow if the amount received was incorrect. 

here is the worst case scenario: 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include where you simply never received for the children), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing as an additional refund (or reduce what you owe)
  • If you received too much (not the case here), by law, you are not required to return it

make sense? 

FuzzFurtz

We had a fourth baby in November of 2019. While going through TurboTax when filing my 2019 taxes, this new baby was mistakenly classified as "credit for other dependents" instead of a child tax credit. We amended our return but haven't heard back yet on if that amendment was accepted. When we got our stimulus check, we didn't get $500 for this fourth baby, only for the other three children. I have a feeling that "credit for other dependents" mistake is what cost us that additional $500 for the new baby. Hopefully this can be fixed with the IRS and we can get the $500 for the newest addition to the family. I heard one rumor that the child has to have lived with you for at least 6 months of the 2019 year but I don't know if that is true.

When you entered your new baby you needed to select she lived with your the WHOLE YEAR, even if they are born on Dec 31.  You should amend your return and get the Child Tax Credit.   I believe you can get the extra Stimulus payment when you do your 2020 return next year.  

How to amend a current year tax return
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

@FuzzFurtz - there is no guidance whether the IRS will send out the $500 after processing the amendment, but certainly file the amendment as it could impact your regular 2019 taxes.

even if the child is born on Dec 31 at 11:59 p.m. , the baby lived with you for all 12 months / the whole year as far as the IRS is concerned

on the stimulus, here is the 'worst case scenario' 

• The stimulus payments are really based on your 2020 tax return (income, dependents, etc).
  • The IRS is using either 2018 or 2019 – whatever is available  - to ESTIMATE that payment
  • When you file next year there will be a “settle up” section on the tax return. 
  • If you are due more stimulus (and this would include a child born in 2019 or even 2020 where you did not receive the $500 due), you will receive it through the 2020 tax filing  as an additional refund (or to reduce your taxes if you owe)
  • If you received too much stimulus (not the issue here), by law , you are not required to return it

does that help? you'll get the extra $500 on the stimulus, but it may not be until next year's tax return is filed. 

I did not receive the $500 for my 15 year old dependent.  They deposited $1200 for me in the same acct they deposited my tax return 2 months ago.  He qualifies in all ways, they can see this by my tax return.  Who do I call?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies