fookles

My state taxes for Virginia were not paid by turbotax. I have now been charged interest. I cannot seem to talk to someone on Ttax. How can turbotax address their error?

You can not pay a state tax due from Turbo Tax. How were you suppose to pay it? You probably just paid the Turbo Tax fees for doing the state return. And you can not have a state tax due deducted from a federal refund, only the Turbo Tax fees.

Your only proof of payment is your bank statement or credit card showing the payment coming out. Turbo Tax only passes your bank account number to the state for the state to take it out of your account. But most states do not let you pay by Direct Debit so you have to mail in a check or go directly to the state's website to pay.

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo. If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay. Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900884-what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-for-pay...

BeppyB

That does make sense.  But we live in Texas and do not pay state taxes.  We also did not pay anything in this year.

@BeppyB  are you the same poster as fookles?  The original question is about Virginia.  What is your question?

fookles

I've used Turbotax for years and don't recall ever having this same issue with paying via credit card through TT. When I spoke to Virginias department they said this had been a big issue for the 2018 year.

I have tried numerous times to get ahold of a person via Turbo tax customer service. A service I had paid for as part of my filing through them, and have been unsuccessful. It is impossible to 'spell your email address' to a robot who is expected to get it right in two tries or hang up on you.