turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My security code to activate my 2019 software does not work

4 Phone calls already -- It's over, Im done with you guys. You can stop replying just to be the last word. 

2020_cd
Returning Member

the trouble caused by TT forcing the online authentication for those who purchased an install CD from a local store still exists. They need to work faster and make this a priority for their customers!

I feel the same pain guys. I'm done with my tax, but I'm still following up on this thread.

I think a lot of these folks doesn't realize is that that update/activation issue also messed up your installation count. So you can uninstall everything, delete any left over files, etc. By the time you try to re-install and activate it, software is telling you it can no longer be activated because the 5 installation seats has been all used up. Customer service straight up tell you that's because you've installed on more than 5 computers.....

I'm in the middle of the pain.  

I've talked to over four reps.  I had to explain this to them every time, and none of them can solve my activation issue.   By reading this threads, I think we can sue the company for wasting us so much time on this stupid activation issue!!!!   It's so annoying.  I've used TT for over 8 years, and this is first year that I have this issue.  

I asked the last reps if I can talk to someone of their IT department about this issue.   And then got transferred to someone and got a Investigation number......    Still waiting for them to contact me.....    

roach1938

I have tried several times to recieve a security code for filing my taxes. By the time my email recieves the code it is "outdated" . I have tried changing to another email, but that is not working either. 

@ roach1938 wrote:

I have tried several times to recieve a security code for filing my taxes. By the time my email recieves the code it is "outdated" . I have tried changing to another email, but that is not working either. 

You are likely posting in the wrong thread on a different topic, but I'll tell you what to do below.  This thread was about desktop software users (CD/download) and their license activation code.    Are you using Online TurboTax, and when efiling is it asking for a 6-digit email verification code?

If so, you must leave the TurboTax screen open that asks for the code.  Use either a second tab or a second window to go to retrieve the code from your email.    If you close that first window that asks for the code, the code will fail and will always be seen as "expired."    All modern browsers can open a second tab or a second window, so you won't have to close the first screen.   Once you have the code then go back to the original tab or original window where you left the TurboTax interface open.

Another alternative is to leave the first screen open that asks for the code, and then check your email on your phone if you have a smartphone.

After struggling for a month, I finally solve the problem.  

I found the following threads, and it really helped me out.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/license-code-multiple-request-by-tt-2019-desktop-...

I found out that I have two external hard drive connected to my desktop when I first installed TurboTax.  And after I plug those two hard drive back to my desktop, the activation window disappear, and I can normally use the software.  

OMG, this is so stupid.  

I hope my experience help.  Good luck.

I downloaded a free copy of turbo tax and I need a license code to activate it.

@ Dlvelazquez wrote:

I downloaded a free copy of turbo tax and I need a license code to activate it.

Uh-oh.  I've never heard of a free copy of TurboTax desktop software.  What's the story on that?  I hope it wasn't some scam site.  You need to explain that more.

I have the same problem for months and I disconnect the external hard drive that attach to my computer and that fix my problem.

the **bleep** code wont work

@petekessler wrote:

the **bleep** code wont work

FAQ:  My code doesn't work

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/my-code-doesn-t-work/01/871966

If necessary, here's how to reach TurboTax Support by phone for assistance:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days.

You can use this contact form to get a phone number and incident number.  Be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate you are using the CD/download product and for what OS.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Yache

Same problem. Screw me for installing and activating in April but procrastinating till July to file I guess?

After booting the software up after not touching it for 3 months, I went through the update installations and then faced the prompt for activation again. Entered the code, 603. Went through the troubleshooting steps, nothing. Requested assistance by an agent, nope you apparently need to start a filing first. Went to the "contact" page on the website, page is blank.

As much as I appreciate the UX I'm now completely done with TurboTax and will never look back. 

@ Yache wrote:

Requested assistance by an agent, nope you apparently need to start a filing first. Went to the "contact" page on the website, page is blank.

Sorry you're having trouble.  You have a paid desktop product (CD/download), so you should be able to get phone support at any stage of your product use.  They help with product installation, license activation problems, etc.  I've never seen anyone say the contact page is blank.  Are you referring to this link?

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

See screen image I just made:

contactform.png

If you're having trouble getting the form to display, try a different browser.

It should provide you an incident number and a phone number, but only when they are open (see hours below.)  Be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate you are using the CD/download product and for what OS--Windows or Mac.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days.   If you use the form outside those hours, you'll get a message that says "closed" and to try again during business hours.

mattsocal
Returning Member

Just began this nightmare with everyone else. Looking through log files it looks like they created an update that cannot decrypt the stored code.

[2020-08-13 19:16:07.706368] (0x00003014) [LOG_CLOUD] [LoggerWrapper.cpp(58) @ function : log_cloud] {"tag":"ProductActivation","levelName":"ERROR","message":"Error on decrypt value using AES encryption algorithm.\nIssue in Decrypting."}

Have not seen this posted anywhere else but this looks like it is the problem to me. Oops I cannot decrypt lets make them waste a code.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies