Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My return was rejected due to FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA but I did not inherit an IRA.

Finding this thread was actually very reassuring. The only thing more annoying would be to get that error message & not find anyone having the same issue.... thanks to all for reporting back what the TT reps have said

My return was rejected due to FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA but I did not inherit an IRA.

Another data point:  I did not have a ROTH conversion this year, just contributions to traditional IRAs from 401k rollovers.

My rough calculation (11 x 15 entries per page, rounded down for repeat users) suggests that, at a minimum, there are now more than 150 users affected by this error. Probably at least 5 times that, since a 10 percent response rate is typical on this kind of forum. 

I paid twice as much for TT Premier this year as I did last year, and I was already planning to try something else next year, even though I have used the product for more than 15 years, and even worked for Intuit a couple of years ago. 

Considering the scale of this screwup, here's what I think we deserve:

*  Push notifications when TurboTax confirms the error has been fixed.

*  Free live tax expert help if it hasn't.

* A refund of at least 25% of this year's charges.

Like most of you, I'm reconciled to waiting till March 5, to see if TurboTax fixes this in a timely manner.  If they don't, I'm going to be all over social media with this (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) since most corporations now monitor those channels actively.  

liliuoh

I got the same error message and rejected, called turbotax support, was told to delete 1099-R form and manually enter to submit again.  

ckck
Level 1

Just to add one more data point: I got the same rejection message. I do not have any inherited IRAs but did have a "backdoor Roth". So there is definitely some kind of bug in TT, all of my forms look correct and the same as last year. So I hope they will be able to fix this soon.

tej1
Level 1

+1 seeing the same thing as of March 2nd. Seems like we need to wait until March 5th for fix from TurboTax?

Interesting reading this thread as most posters do not even have an Inherited IRA and get the Reject. On the other hand my wife has an Inherited IRA and has been taking RMD's every year since inherited. However this year she did not have to take the RMD due to Covid and subsequent rule changes by Congress. So she elected not to take the RMD and since no (ZERO $'S) were taken there is no 1099R. So when I was doing the taxes this weekend I had imported data from last year and when I came to the 1099-R Entries I updated each one via Edit and Deleted the one for my wife's Inherited IRA and added a new one not on the list and went on my merry way to completion. Let it sit over the weekend and tried filing early Monday morning after one more walk through review. Went through ok and got an email from [email address removed] shortly after filing titled: In Progress: Your Turbo Tax Return Status saying "you're almost there. This was at 08:16 AM. Then at 1:54 PM I received another email from TurboTax, ACTION ALERT! Your rejected federal tax return. Followed by the Following:

This happens from time to time, but we're here to help.

We'll walk you through updating and e-filing your return every step of the way.

What happened

FED_Taxable_Inherited_IRA - There is a potential issue with the calculation of your Taxable Inherited IRA.

Next step

We'll help you get this updated on your federal return and e-file .

To update your return

Once you've opened your return in TurboTax, the details about what needs updating will be displayed.

From there we can walk you through making the updates you need and help you e-file your return. If it isn't possible to e-file your updated return, we'll make sure you have everything you need to print and file your tax return by mail.

I opened my Tax Return expecting some kind of error code but got a message saying something about an issue with the Inherited IRA. And that Intuit and/or IRS was working on the problem and expected it to be fixed by March 5. I then went online and ended up here. Decided to reopen the tax return and there was no notice. I then double checked that indeed there was no Inherited IRA. Today I opened the file again and went to Online on the menu at the top and checked for an update. There was no update so I checked to see what version I had and it is [phone number removed]. Guess I will wait until March 5 and check again for an update.

Ok they thought the version number was a phone number so here lets try this 020   000   1621 just run the sets of number together with dots between each group and you have the version.

I do have an inherited IRA and the distribution was classified as non-taxable.  However, at one point it corrected and became taxable.  I then submitted my taxes at which point the distribution reverted back to being nontaxable.  Result was my taxes were rejected.  Waiting to March 5th to try again.

michiganman
Returning Member

Same here. Using downloaded version and received e-file rejection due to inherited IRA calculation but did not have an inherited IRA. Had a traditional IRA distribution.

DITTO! Most concerning to find an error like this, and especially that it has not yet been corrected!

I forgot to post this yesterday but person on the phone said to wait and refile on 3/6 so they for sure implement whatever fix in their system.  So 3/6 it is 🤞🤞🤞

So it looks like some people who did a backdoor IRA were able to successfully file - but they filed prior to the 2/26 version.

I'm hopeful it'll be okay after the next update.

TT support tells me they had just received an email today from corperate saying they hope to have the issue resolved by 3/15/21.  It apparently is a significant software issue and it will take them that much time to resolve.  There is no emoji that describes my thoughts about TT at the moment!!!!

BTW....TT does not permit posting the phone number in these messages but it can be found at the link below. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I called the TT service line and asked if there is a way to verify that the Inherited IRA rejection issue is fixed whether it is on March 5 or 15. After checking with the supervisor they said to call back on March 6 and ask for a CPA. (THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!!) Why in the heck can't they send the hundreds (if not thousands) of people that got this rejection email a notice when THEY have it corrected. Turbo Tax: Start taking some responsibility and practice basic customer service! 

@evets wrote:

TT support tells me they had just received an email today from corperate saying they hope to have the issue resolved by 3/15/21.  It apparently is a significant software issue and it will take them that much time to resolve.  There is no emoji that describes my thoughts about TT at the moment!!!!

BTW....TT does not permit posting the phone number in these messages but it can be found at the link below. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turb[product key removed]r/00/2563...

Are you for real???

Their error message still says 3/5.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies