turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband received a 1099-misc from his employer with an amount of money listed in box 1 (rents). No other boxes were filled. When he called the employer, they said it was for mileage. I am unsure ho

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My husband received a 1099-misc from his employer with an amount of money listed in box 1 (rents). No other boxes were filled. When he called the employer, they said it was for mileage. I am unsure ho

Well, it's wrong no matter what.  The employer should be asked to rescind the 1099. 

If the employer has an accountable plan, and only reimburses for mileage at the IRS official rate or less, and only reimburses mileage that is proven to be work-related with a logbook, diary, journal, expense account form, or other method, then the reimbursement is not taxable and should not be reported on any tax form. 

If the employer pays a mileage allowance without asking for proof, that is considered a non-accountable plan, and the money is taxable.  However, the employer is supposed to include on on the employee's W-2 and make it subject to withholding of federal, state, social security and medicare tax.

Ask the employer to rescind the 1099, and issue a corrected W-2 if necessary.  If they refuse, there are some options for what to do next, depending on what kind of proof your have related to work mileage. Post back here with further questions if needed. 

We contacted his employer and the matter was resolved. Thank you very much for your help. We appreciate it!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies