turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My fiance (qualified dependent as per IRS guidelines) filed for stimulus check separately, her income is $0 & live with me,but i am not able to claim her as dependent now

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My fiance (qualified dependent as per IRS guidelines) filed for stimulus check separately, her income is $0 & live with me,but i am not able to claim her as dependent now

A person who is claimed as a dependent cannot receive a stimulus check.  It seems she already filed on the non-filer site and got the check.  So.... she pay it back to the IRS.  Or you can claim her and get the $500 credit for other dependents if you claim her.

Does she fit the criteria to be your dependent?

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies

A person who is claimed as a dependent cannot receive a stimulus check.  It seems she already filed on the non-filer site and got the check.  So.... she pay it back to the IRS.  Or you can claim her and get the $500 credit for other dependents if you claim her.

Does she fit the criteria to be your dependent?

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And...if you want to claim your GF, you cannot e-file this year.  In order to claim her as your dependent you will have to print, sign and mail your return.  When she filed on the non-filer site, she used her SSN for the year.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Thank you so much for the explanation! If i file paper submission, do i need to file amendment to my Fiancé tax returns. Apparently she did not select the box that says that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return and i think thats the reason she received 1200 stimulus amount

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies