turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

asklar
Returning Member

My federal income tax does not match my W2 federal tax withheld by about $500 and I have no other withholdings.

The info on the W2 that is entered is correct but it doesn't match what's shown in the end
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

My federal income tax does not match my W2 federal tax withheld by about $500 and I have no other withholdings.

As long as you didn't have any other withholding on other tax forms, it should match the total of all box 2's from each employer's W-2.   (box 4 and 6 are NOT included)

So...EDIT each W-2 in the software and make sure the numbers entered are correct.

IF they still don't match what you think they should indicate, you are going to have to de3scribe "exactly" which line on your form 1040 you are looking at, or "exactly" what summary page you are reviewing, and exactly how the line is labellled for what you are looking at.

Depending on what page you are looking at, the number can be higher than from just your W-2 forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
asklar
Returning Member

Thanks for replying @SteamTrain . I only have one W-2 so you'd think this should be easy 🙂

The amount in my W2 box 2 does not match the value that is seen on TurboTax when I look at the amount in Federal -> Deductions & Credits -> Income Taxes paid. The amount in the Income Taxes paid is $503.50 higher than the amount in my W2 box 2. I've already looked through all my forms and even went to Tax Home -> Clear everything and restart, and re-entered all my information. Help?

@asklar 

Where exactly are you looking , where the number shows that it is $500 higher? 

On the actual 1040 tax form itself (line 17), or on some other summary or menu page?

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
asklar
Returning Member

@SteamTrain 

yes - I previewed my 1040 and line 17 shows 503.50 higher than box 2 of my W2. I also see this higher amount in the summary page called "Your tax breaks" (in Federal > Deductions&Credits, under "Income taxes paid")

I already went through my 1099s, there was no tax withheld there so I'm not sure where TurboTax is getting the extra $503.50 that it says I paid in tax already...

one Other possible thing:

Refund from 2018 Federal taxes, you allowed the IRS to keep.....& had applied to 2019 taxes?

IF not that:

Go to the Print Center..and save a PDF file of your taxes, but for your records, with ALL forms and worksheets.

In that PDF file will be a Federal "Tax Payments Worksheet"  .  That worksheet has a Federal columns with lines 1-20 that shows total Federal payments from all kinds of sources.....maybe the 500 will show up on one of those lines.

schwartzels
Returning Member

I am having the exact same problem.  We have added up all the withholdings from all sources that we inputted into Turbotax Premier.  We did not apply any refunds to 2020 taxes, and the amount in "Tax Payments" shown in the Tax Summary tab is off by 7,066!  It says we have that much more that has been withheld than our W2 and 1099R's show.  Cannot understand where is this coming from.  We called Turbo tax and he had no idea!  We started the return all over and it still shows the same $7,066 difference!

JosephF8
Expert Alumni

Is this greater number showing on your federal return? If not then that total number also includes your total withheld for state taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
schwartzels
Returning Member

Also check your tax return to see if it includes Form 8959 with an amount on line 24 that is treated as income tax withholding.

The difference came from this page called Form 8959 that you can see when you print out or view your return.  It comes from the amount that was withheld on Medicare taxes that they credit part of it to your tax payments.  Don't understand it since ALL wages are subject to Medicare taxes, but at least now I can see where the extra credit in tax payments is coming from!

Anonymous
Not applicable

are there any other items included in return that might have withholding such as 1099-R?

See this FAQ on the Medicare Tax for high income, see What is Form 8959

https://ttlc.intuit.com/health-care/2560264-how-does-the-affordable-health-care-act-affect-my-2014-t...

AllHat

Form 8959  was it for me, thanks!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies