turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Thank you, LField, for finding a solution to this problem. This worked for me. 

However, I would like to point out that once again, Turbotax did not fix this issue. As usual, they outsourced problem solving to the people who actually pay THEM for their services, which apparently doesn't include problem solving in any real fashion. 

I maintain that Turbotax has horrendous customer service and this forum is further proof of that. 

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Changing the unverified German number in my Intuit Account to my sister's U.S. phone, then verifying it, did not work...until I waited a few minutes. So be aware it may take a few minutes for the change to populate the proper systems. I hate it when people won't take my money! 🙂

I'm glad to hear that some of us were able to get a workaround to solve the problem. I've tried again with no success. The only US number I have is a Google voice number so I can't swap the number out. I did delete the Gvoice number from my intuit account info and was prompted for a number as part of the efile process. Still failed when I put the same number as before. I guess I have to wait a few days and hope intuit gets "it" together and if not file by mail. Thanks to all of the replyersfor  the updates.

I am having the same issue filling from the UK.... come onnn fixx it

Did you try to verify your American google voice number with a text message? That’s what ended up working for me. 

I'm not confident Intuit will fix this problem.  Their customer service is absolutely worthless in my humble opinion.  Letting paying customers guess to solve their software errors and needed fixes.

You may be wise to find someone in the USA where you can send a text and then talk to them to get the code they receive in a text message. Once you have that, the phone number is verified.  I don't know why this is so important, but it is.

Good luck.

Curtis

See this answer about this particular error provided by TurboTax DawnC in the similar thread linked below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

The solution in this link from DawnC sort-of worked for me.

I normally file with a land-line US number in my tax form. But this year I had entered and verified my overseas number mobile number in my intuit account page. I had to first completely delete my overseas number from my intuit account and save the changes with no number. Then, I added a new number (the same land-line that I used on my tax form). I did not verify this number (because its a landline and does not receive texts.) After deleting, saving, and re-entering this US number my taxes would file.

I noticed that when I had the US number in my Intuit account there was an extra tick box before clicking file. This box could be checked if you wanted the status of your efile to be sent to you via SMS. I assume this is the source of the software error. (i.e. it is not able to text international numbers listed in your intuit account).

I finally got mine to transmit from Germany! Thanks for the advice. I went into my "Intuit Account"- bottom left corner- and deleted the German landline I had on file. On my taxes, I had a 10 digit US number (Google Voice number). I tried to transmit my tax return again but it still didn't work. I then went back to my Intuit Account and entered the same 10 digit Google Voice number and verified it. I was able to receive the verification SMS by viewing my Voice account online. Before trying to transmit my taxes again, I logged off and then logged back in again. I noticed on the final screen with the CAPTCHA, my verified phone number was present asking me if I wanted updates via SMS. I transmitted my taxes and it finally worked.

I'm not sure if you can set up a Google Voice number from over seas, but perhaps a Skype number would work.

I think the glitch lies in that it seems you can only enter a 10 digit phone number on the tax return itself and that number must correspond to the number on file in your Intuit Account.

I hope this is helpful for someone. I tried calling Turbotax yesterday and could not get through because of high call volume. 

This worked for me. Thank you!

I spent half an hour with customer support last night (on my own dime) and they didn't have a clue what the problem could be; they at first told me that it was an activation code problem and I needed to verify my code (but I was using TurboTax online, so it doesn't apply), then I was told to reset my cookies and computer (which I did not do). They wanted me to hold again (for the 4th time) while they looked for another answer. I said no thanks.

Same here.  Trying to filer from the UK, inserted a domestic number in the Intuit account, got it verified, but still no go.  No sign of Intuit help on this either. 

wightie13

This was what finally worked for me. Went to accounts . intuit . com and changed my number to a US based number. Then I verified this number through text message. Logged out/in of turbotax, then tried to file again.....it worked!! Thanks for the help!!

I am sorry to say that I did that too and it did not work

You will need to have a phone number in the USA that can received a text message, or a phone call.  Once you press Verify after you type in the USA phone number, Intuit either calls or sends a text and provides a six-digit number for you to type in the Intuit info form and then it is verified.

This must have been added just this year.

You need someone in the USA who can answer a phone call or text message and then get  that information back to you immediately.  They type the information in, and wallah! you can file your income tax.

Good luck.

Thx, but nope, did all that and it didn't transmit. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies