Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

sorry to hear that. 

It appears that customer support to Intuit means Go Figure Out Any Problems By Yourself.

I called their 800 number and was on hold about 15 minutes. The connection was terrible and after about five minutes, the connection dropped.  The woman never tried to call back and didn't follow up with an email either.  Guess that is an indication of how valuable they see my business.  They were in a much bigger hurry this year than they were last year to get their payment out of me.  If you haven't paid them, I'd suggest you find an alternative provider.  If you already did pay, then try the 1800 number and keep pushing them to fix this obvious software glitch.

If you duckduckgo.com search alternatives to turbotax, you'll get an entire list.  Search out the best one and  try that.  This is what I will be doing next year. 

Intuit fails at customer service.

My federal e-file is not going through. I'm given the following error message: 601ERRV:5, CustHdr_17 - ?:? - Invalid SMS Number. Must be between 10 and 10 digits.

Thanks.  As I have tried to file once a day in context of a post that talked about Intuit's response that they knew about the problem, were working on it, and hoped it would be fixed NLT this Tuesday, I tried this AM (London UK time) and it worked.   I quite agree that their customer service is garbage and alternatives should be sought next year.

Did you get any reply on this request? If yes what is the solution?

@ tejask181292 wrote:

Did you get any reply on this request? If yes what is the solution?

See if this FAQ helps any:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

You have to have a valid US domestic 10-digit phone number in both the return and in the Intuit Account settings.  Or it "may"also be possible to leave the Intuit Account phone number blank.

If you browse this entire long thread, you'll see what other users with this error code did to be able to efile.  Some of them may be able to help you.

No, but another post indicated that TT was working it and to keep trying--so I did.  It went through last Friday.  It prob helps regardless to make sure there is a verified US domestic phone number listed in the Intuit account (and not just the Turbo tax file).  Hope this helps. 

ndpalpant

I had an international number in my profile information used for SMS. I changed that to a US number (used a family members phone) and now I was able to submit the taxes. Very strange error but that was my way around - just use US phone numbers where it is required (if possible).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had same problem, but fixed it today. Problem comes if you've put international phone number in Intuit Account when you registered in Turbotax.  If so, you have to go there and put valid US number. On the right side of the number you'll see "verify". Click oh this and they will send  security code on this number. ( Make sure someone is on the the phone at the same time and give you the security code). Then enter the code and "verify" will change to "verified". And you are good to go

lcolomo

Thank you so much for suggesting that I check my intuit account personal info. It was not aligned with my tax return info. but once I fixed that ... SUCCESS!!!

Thanks Again!

Lou

lcolomo

you can also try to get a google voice number from the states. it is free and may solve your issues

Thanks, but it went through a few days ago (and in a time frame consistent with TT saying it was hoping to fix it in a few days). 

Has there been a resolution to this problem?

@Primogt14p  wrote:

Has there been a resolution to this problem?

See if this FAQ helps any:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/bugs-and-error-messages/help/why-am-i-getting-601errv-5-custhdr-17...

You have to have a valid US domestic 10-digit phone number in both the return and in the Intuit Account settings.  Or it "may"also be possible to leave the Intuit Account phone number blank.

If you browse this entire long thread, you'll see what other users with this error code did to be able to efile.  Some of them may be able to help you.

anyone still has same issue? seems like still not fixed yet

where do you find your foreign number in your account?  i can only see one place to put in the number and i already had a US number there.. the only thing i probably realize is the number is a virtual number and wont receive SMS.. not sure if this matters

@ andrewlam109 wrote:

where do you find your foreign number in your account?  i can only see one place to put in the number and i already had a US number there.. the only thing i probably realize is the number is a virtual number and wont receive SMS.. not sure if this matters

See this answer by TurboTax DawnC in the thread linked below, who says not to use a number like Google Voice, Skype, etc.  in the Intuit Account settings, at least not until after you successfully efile.   She also says it may be possible to leave the phone number blank in the Intuit Account settings.   You can put the problem USA phone number back in your Intuit Account settings later.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-i-try-efile-but-i-get-message-invalid-sms-numb...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies