turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ksewell78

My email is messed up I can't do my taxes thru turbo tax without getting some code sent what can I do

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Bees
Level 7

My email is messed up I can't do my taxes thru turbo tax without getting some code sent what can I do

You can't do them online not anyway since it is after October 15  which is the last possible date to use online software. You can either buy a downloadable Turbotax product or go to the IRS website and get tax forms. Or use a CPA locally.

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.

@ ksewell78 

If you started your online return prior to the October 15 deadline, you may still be able to finish it and efile it online through October 31.    Here's an image  of a banner I see at the Tax Home when I log in for an unfiled return that was started prior to October 15.  If you see such a banner at the top of the Tax Home page, you can probably finish your return and possibly efile online.  It does let me continue working on my unfiled test return, but I can't really test it to see if it will indeed allow an efile.   You can try and see if it will let you.  If it won't, you'll have to print, sign, and mail the return.

October31.png

That being said, I'll try to guess what code you are referring to, since you didn't provide any explanation.

Are you trying to efile and having trouble receiving the 6-digit email verification code to finalize your efile?   If you need to, you can change the email address that the code is sent to by going to the left menu column, scroll down and click on Intuit Account, and then the tab "Sign In and Security."

This FAQ has a video that shows how to do it:

FAQ: What if I'm having trouble with my filing verification code?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/security/help/what-if-i-m-having-trouble-with-my-filing-verificati...

NOTE:  When you go to retrieve the code from your email, remember to use a second tab or second window.   All modern browsers should have the capability of a second tab or second window.    You have to leave the first screen open that asks for the code.   If you close that first screen, then the code won't work.   Another option is if you have a smartphone, you can retrieve the code from your email using your phone while leaving the screen open on your computer that's asking for the code.

@ ksewell78 

Also, that banner warns of possible late filing fees, but if you are due a Federal refund, there is no penalty for a late Federal return.    If you owe Federal tax due, however, then there could be penalties for filing late and for paying the tax due late.

I can find no outside  substantiation that efiling will continue until 10/31 for NEW returns ... if you click on the MORE DETAILS link you will see RESUBMIT only mentioned ...

efile after 10-15.jpgefile after 10-15 2.jpg

Professional tax programs allow efiling for the last 3 tax years until the IRS blackout happens to allow the switch to the new tax year ... this blackout period is usually from Dec to mid Jan.  I have never seen any DIY programs extend the efiling for new returns past 10/15  and resubmissions of rejected returns past 10/20.  Is this something new this year ?    If it is then it needs to be better explained  and if it is not then the screens need to be corrected asap. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies