Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Many have posted that it’s time to switch to H&R Block software.  But, is it really any better?  What are the pros and cons here?  

Missing 2021 Form 1116

DoninGA - your response (repeated verbatim numerous times) is not helpful.  It seems evident that most of us already know that Intuit has again delayed the ESTIMATED release date of Form 1116 until 3/3/22, and most of us know where to find the forms release date table.  We get it.

The problem is that there been numerous delays in the estimated release date of this form (thus causing skepticism of the 3/3/22 date), the date itself is shamefully late (we should be able to file our taxes in February, many of us would like or need to get our refunds sooner rather than later), there is no clear explanation (i..e. accountability) from Intuit,  and most of all for me -  there is no clear evidence that someone knowledgeable from the company is even reading this thread and/or aware of the dissatisfaction from the community.  Since Intuit's customer support system is to a large degree reliant upon this community forum, not having a clear and authoritative presence in the forum is a serious deficiency in their overall customer support strategy.

Getting back to what the TT Community wants to know:

1) How confident is Intuit that they will honor the March 3 date?

2) Is Intuit aware of the level of dissatisfaction and are they making this a priority?

3) What is the reason for such a late form, and why have their been repeated delays?

These aren't just gripe-based questions to make us feel better.  We have important decisions to make regarding filing our taxes:  How long do we wait for this issue to be resolved before pursuing another path?  Do we just forgo the Foreign Tax Credits/Deduction and file now?  Do we manually fill out Form 1116 and risk getting it wrong?  Do we spend more $ and purchase another software package and spend time transferring everything over to a new platform?  Do we quit Intuit/TT altogether (their response to this and other issues is fairly important in this regard)?

PS - One decision I personally DO have enough information to make is to cease being an Intuit/TT customer, just as soon as it is practical to do so.  They never fixed a bug in 2020 (sale of real estate), and introduced some new bugs this year (2021), and in both cases it was impossible to talk to a person knowledgeable in the Program itself, meaning I have no confidence the issues will be fixed.  This Form 1116 issue is just another sign that the company is going seriously downhill.  My guess is they're focusing too heavily on sales, revenue accounting, and 'management' and not enough on top-notch technical acumen (e.g. programmers) and customer service.  Too bad after having used this software for decades.

asmetana

Missing 2021 Form 1116

How is it that H&R Block has this form available but Intuit is now estimating YET another delay to 3/3/22?

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Now it says available 3/31/22 but "unsupported" for efile.  WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? 

Missing 2021 Form 1116

@hmbtennis wrote:

Now it says available 3/31/22 but "unsupported" for efile.  WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? 

You are referring to this form -

Form 1116 Sch B, Foreign Tax Carryover Reconciliation Schedule for 2021 will be available on 03/31/2022 for printing only

The actual Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit has not had the date changed for e-filing or printing, it is still 03/03/2022

https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

Missing 2021 Form 1116

DoninGA - Thank you for the clarification.  Sorry for my incorrect statement and overreaction 🙂

rifi
Level 4

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Thanks, Don, for reposting that link for forms still not available in TT. You’ve posted it several times before, but only today did I pay close attention to exactly how many  forms TT still has not yet made available. 

Wow, that’s a lot of forms. And March is any day now.

And thank  you to a previous poster who mentioned the ProPublica article about Intuit’s cloaked work to foil the US  government’s  efforts to make e-filing less expensive for people like us who use TurboTax for e-filing. Much(!) less expensive. And thanks to the poster who mentioned the article (from the Denver area news site)  about Intuit’s highly profitable deception targeting naive tax filers with simple returns - with offers of “free”.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

now 3/3 ugh!

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Not sure how many are affected, but for those of us who have FTC carryovers the news about Form 1116 Schedule B is really depressing.  In the past Form 1116 Part III Line 10 required an explanatory statement that TurboTax generated automatically and attached for both paper and e-filing.  Beginning with tax year 2021 Line 10 requires a new IRS Schedule B.  There are several threads on the topic with personal and professional preparers complaining about software (including H&R Block) not supporting the new form for e-filing, like this one: https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=366971&sid=8926bc3d97037651f4c8edbb90496e49&sta...

There was a ray of hope from a TurboTax employee on Feb 19 saying that they might possibly support e-filing Schedule B 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/re-2021-form-1116-schedule-b-car... 

But that now seems unlikely given the "E-file unsupported" entry in the forms availability table.  Means I'll have to wait until March 31 to complete Form 1116, then file paper state and federal returns, again :(

mw78
Level 2

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Your posts are helpful. Thank you!

As of 2/25/22, it is frustrating that form 1116 is still not available but thank you for providing the TT form availability link.

Current date for form 1116 is 3/03/22.

Hope this date sticks as we are all encouraged to file early to safeguard our information. 

Thanks again

jimbob73

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Form 1116 is not needed if the foreign tax withheld is less than #300/$600 for single/married file jointly. If the tax is below these amounts, just delete the form and file without it. I read the IRS rules Monday, deleted the form, E-filed the same day, IRS accepted it within a day, My refund was processed Thursday and expect a direct deposit next week. Next year I will probably delete the form as soon as the IRS releases and starts accepting the  2022 returns.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

How do you delete the from from TurboTax?

(in case I end up having to do the same)

rifi
Level 4

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Thank you, 993c4, for alerting me to the bogleheads discussion. I saw mention ( and discussion) of OLT.com there - very interesting. Have you considered trying it?  The price is certainly right. I’ve seen no discussion of it, here,as an alternative to TT or HRB or TA. The discussants Say 1116 is ready there, including the new Sch B that might be needed with it. 

Has anyone else here tried it or considered it? I may test it out to see what the user interface is like.

Missing 2021 Form 1116

My pleasure rifi.  Misery loves company!

OLT.com seems interesting to try because you can find out if it's going to work before spending too much.  TaxAct is expensive, but says it can import your prior year TurboTax return in pdf format and you don't have to pay until you file.  Guessing either one would be a major time commitment for me because of my complicated FTC carryover, my wife's LLC with depreciation schedules, etc.  I might sign up and try the pdf import just to see how far that gets me.

Nontax

Missing 2021 Form 1116

Now it's not going to be available until March 31 and not available for E filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies