Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Loaded TurboTax 2020 on my Mac. After updating, the program won't open. TT 2019 won't open either. Is this a key chain issue? How do I fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Loaded TurboTax 2020 on my Mac. After updating, the program won't open. TT 2019 won't open either. Is this a key chain issue? How do I fix?

What makes you think it is keychain related?

if you get the message "TurboTax cannot be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software" then that is caused by the Apple "Gatekeeper" introduced with OS X 10.15 (Catalina).

That has nothing to do with TurboTax and will happen for any application not purchased from the Apple Store.

See this Apple article on this: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

And this TurboTax help article: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/troubleshooting/help/turbotax-for-mac-won-t-open-when-installed/00...

For older Mac systems when TurboTax will not open.
See:

Be sure that System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Allow apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers is checked.

Go to the Applications folder and select the TurboTax application in the Finder and right click with the mouse (or control click) ans select the top "open". That should force the first open. After that it should open normally.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899267-administrator-rights-mac

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I am having the same issue.  I'm on Big Sur and after the update to TurboTax 2020 home and business I cannot get the app to load.  It starts to open, but the when the checking for updates window comes up, the program crashes.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You may need to remove and reinstall TurboTax on your Mac. Please follow the instructions below to remove and reinstall.  

Remove and reinstall TurboTax for Mac 

Please follow these instructions for the administrative rights you may need to remove TurboTax.  

Administrator rights in Mac OS X 

If you have any trouble reopening it after reinstallation, please follow these steps. 

TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Here is what finally resolved the issue after spending 1 hour on the phone with TuboTax tech support.

Please follow the steps below:

Open your User/Library folder. In the Finder when you click on the "Go" menu and Hold Option key you can click on Library. Or, click on "Go to Folder" and in the box put "~/Library" In the Library folder look for the "Preferences" folder. Open it.
In the Preferences folder look for file: "com.intuit.turbotax.2020.plist" Throw that file in the Trash. Then reboot your Mac. (Shutdown/Restart) After your Mac starts up you can open your TurboTax 2020 tax file. The file is normally saved in your Mac Documents folder. The file is probably named "Your Name 20.tax2020" When TTX launches DO NOT CLICK anything until you read Part B next!... --------------------------------
Part B If you open TTX and see the "It looks like we hit a snag" box. Do NOT CLICK "send to TurboTax". Click the little red close button in top left of box. You might have other windows in front you need to close first like Check for Updates, Welcome, Register Later... Just make sure you DO NOT click "Send to TurboTax". (If you did click "Send to TurboTax" and your it crashes, go back to Part A) Now, if your tax file is open and you had a problem with E-File... (As others have suggested) You might want to try to first E-File ONLY the Federal return without the State. It maybe safer to just get the Fed filing out of the way since it doesn't need a payment. The payment section is often what is causing the crash. If you got the Federal E-File done you can go back to your File a Return section of TTX and do just the State E-File. If you already entered your payment for State E-file you should see the "We've restored all products..." Do NOT CLICK the big blue "Close" button. Click the little white "Close" button in bottom right corner. 

Thank you!  After installing and reinstalling and still having it not work, just doing this one simple thing made it finally work. Thankyou so much!!!

I had to create a new user and reload turbo tax and upload my file to use Turbo tax after doing a Mac update about a month ago. Then yesterday after I did an update last Friday from Mac for something my Turbo Tax all of a sudden started working on my primary user go figure?  Don't know what happened Lol but it's working fine now. 

Reinstall didn't work for me I had to create a new user on my computer and load turbotax on that user and upload my tax file to the new user and it worked fine. But yesterday the original Turbo Tax on my primary user started working out of the blue and is working fine. So I'm assuming Apple or Turbo Tax did an update that fixed the error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies