turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

surneb

Late Payment Penalty. TurboTax asks you to '"Enter the date you plan to file your return and pay your balance due or April 15, 2020, whichever is earlier" Should be 2021.

The date in your software is wrong. Also, if you choose to NOT annualize your income the software still assumes you are preparing a 2210.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

Late Payment Penalty. TurboTax asks you to '"Enter the date you plan to file your return and pay your balance due or April 15, 2020, whichever is earlier" Should be 2021.

The 2210 form is not yet updated, and this is the reason the date is incorrect at this time. You can check the availability of the federal forms here

If you’re required to file Form 2210 because one or more of the boxes in Part II applies, you must complete certain lines and enter the penalty on the "Estimated tax penalty" line of your return.

• If you use the short method, complete Part I, check the box(es) that applies in Part II, and complete Part III. Enter the penalty on Form 2210, line 17, and on the "Estimated tax penalty" line on your tax return.
  • If you use the regular method, complete Part I, check the box(es) that applies in Part II, complete Part IV, Section A, and the penalty worksheet later. Enter the penalty on Form 2210, line 27, and on the "Estimated tax penalty" line on your tax return.
  • If you use the annualized income installment method, complete Part I, check the box(es) that applies in Part II, complete Schedule AI, complete Part IV, Section A, and the penalty worksheet (Worksheet for Form 2210, Part IV, Section B—Figure the Penalty), later. Enter the penalty on Form 2210, line 27, and on the "Estimated tax penalty" line on your tax return.

For more information, please click here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JP36
Level 2

Brandi,

Has the 2210 issue been corrected?  I keep running the "check for updates" and get the response that I am up to date.    However, when I enter "continue" on my tax review, I keep going around in circles and can't file through turbo tax.  

Are you suggesting that I check the box and let the IRS calculate my penalty or will this problem be resolved shortly so I don't have to file a 2210 with the IRS?

JP36
Level 2

Hi Brandi,

Reread your response and clicked on the link "you can check the availability of the federal forms here" and see it reads 2/25/21.  Does that mean this issue will be resolved by that date and I should "hold tight" on submitting my return until after this date?

Thanks

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@JP36 It means that's when the form is tentatively set to become available. The IRS determines when forms will become available.

JP36
Level 2

Thank you for your prompt response Akina.

Can I assume that once the IRS makes the form available, I will be able to transmit my return with the penalty estimated by Turbo Tax without the need to manually enter any additional information?  

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Yes, once TurboTax releases the 2210 for paper printing and e-filing on 2/25/2021, you should be able to update the software in your computer and go into the return and update it and then file it with the 2210 calculating any penalties instead of having IRS calculate your penalty and send you a bill.

TL84
Level 2

What should I put for this date if I owe a penalty but I am due a refund that exceeds the amount of the penalty?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Put in the date you plan to file your taxes.

The only reason I can think of that would result in you owing a penalty, and still getting a refund is that you made substantial estimated payments this year (2022) or very late last year.

Regardless, the IRS is going to recalculate any penalty and assess it from your refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies