Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Late 2020 Tax Return Questions

Tl;dr: Can I have pay to have a live TurboTax agent file my late 2020 return so I don’t have to buy the desktop software? Additionally, any suggestions on what to do if my 2019 $2,000 tax refund is “still processing” but we can all kind of guess that the IRS is just indefinitely constipated with my payment? Thank you.

Now, out of sheer, unreasonable pride and stubbornness… I present to all of you the 1 hour long abomination that is (was?) my original attempt at phrasing these questions. I apparently need more to do with my day. I hope some future technoarcheologist finds this and says, “Hey Bob, come check this out. Turns out not all of our ancestors were maladjusted, antisocial, barnacles on the face of the planet they almost destroyed. This mouthy person of the familial clan ‘Avocadotoasty’ was dope.” I also hope it makes whoever reads this laugh, man. You all deserve it. You are dope, too. 

Hi I just barely missed the late file deadline for 2020 because procrastination. I still haven’t received my 2019 tax return from the federal government. I checked on the IRS tax refund calculator and it’s still showing my refund is pending. I guess my question is, since there’s no other way to contact the IRS about my missing refund (that I know of), would filing my 2020 tax return maybe push through my 2019 federal refund like back in the day with a vending machine that got stuck? 😉

Additionally, because my procrastinating millennial buttocks is so late, I see that I have to actually purchase 2020 software for a Mac or PC. This would be fine, except I don’t have a personal computer and feel like waiting for a physical copy to arrive in the mail isn’t optimal. I have my phone and I can finagle requesting the desktop site for whatever the listed browser requirements are on my phone version of the browser for the 2020 TurboTax download if I have to so that the software gets cozied up with the desktop API if that’s what it really wants, man. Why not put to use my three, depressing years of working as a cog for the man in tech support hell (ignorant to the fact my entire life has been manipulated by a corporate system) by undermining the system and refusing to abide by its reasonable demands. Sometimes, it really is the petty things that make life worth living these days in corporate America, folks. 🤗 I just want to dip my toes into the backend, you know? Since the system and it’s greedy 1% has been free-fistingly helping themselves to ours ( and minorities, all developing exploitable nations, and the entire resource ecosystem of the planet as a whole). **bleep**, buy me dinner first, at least Uncle Sam… you **bleep**. 

However, since this whole scheme is unnecessarily satirical and most likely a “nice try kiddo… borrow your **bleep** roommate’s laptop” kind of situation, I was wondering if it’s possible to pay a TurboTax live tax preparer to just submit the three tax forms for me? As a bonus, they get the wonderful opportunity to commemorate my 2020 tax return with me as the “broke-as-hell and COVID was a real doozy (but at least I might get my fat student loan return one more time before they realized I stopped paying that **bleep**)” highlight of their day! Hurray. Ultimately, I want to pay someone to use their software so I don’t have to buy this as a physical CD/download with which I may run into troubleshooting issues later because I’m blatantly trying to circumvent the requirements by refusing to use the desktop version of the software with an actual desktop. Upon a quick re-read of everything I have typed up thus far, I am apparently just flat out refusing to use any grammatical mark to break up the coy verbosity of my run on sentences. I am truly sorry for what I have just put you through and thank you so much for your help! I know this is 1000% my responsibility and I’ve just been lazy but I really do appreciate your help.

Also, here is some **bleep** 🥑 🍞 for that one old white guy reading this to his country club buddies as justification for his hatred of my entire generation. Yes, we are facetious. It’s the only way we have been surviving mentally as we continue saving the entire blitzkrieg of a world and environment we gained as our **bleep**ty inheritance drenched in the bull**bleep**tery of being blamed for it. Well, facetiousness and memes. This is how we survived 2020. You’re welcome. Bless. 🥰🙏😭

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

A new tax return using the TurboTax online editions for tax year 2020 cannot be started online after October 15, 2021.  Only the online editions provide access to a tax expert/CPA who would be able to assist or complete the 2020 tax return for you.  This feature is not available using the desktop editions.

The 2020 desktop editions from TurboTax can now only be used to start a 2020 tax return.  A 2020 tax return can only be printed and mailed using the TurboTax personal editions, it cannot be e-filed.

If you require assistance in completing the 2020 tax return and cannot use the TurboTax desktop editions then seek out a local tax professional in your area.

As to your other question regarding your 2019 return---no, filing your 2020 return will not shake your 2019 refund loose.  You do not say when you filed the 2019 return .   You say the IRS site tells you that the return is still processing, which is odd, since that site only shows results for 2020 returns now--not for 2019.   When did you file the 2019 return?  Did you e-file or mail it?   

I DID NOT RECEIVE MY REFUND FOR LAST YEAR

Do you know if your 2019 return was accepted?  What did your emails say after you filed?

When you e-file your federal return you will receive two emails from TurboTax.  The first one will say that your return was submitted.  The second email will tell you if your federal return was accepted or rejected.  If you e-filed a state return, there will be a third email to tell you if the state accepted or rejected your state return. 

Check your account for 2019.  If it says anything other than "accepted" your return was not filed.  Either it was rejected and you did not notice and/or follow up, or it was never filed at all.

If you chose to file by mail, you had to mail it yourself.  TurboTax does not mail it for you. 

If it was not filed, then print, sign and mail it now.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Did you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund?

Your tax refund was not sent to TurboTax.   TurboTax does not handle your refund at all.

Santa Barbara Tax Products Group, LLC  (SBTPG) is the bank that handles the Refund Processing Service when you choose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your refund. This option also has an additional charge from the bank that processes the transaction. 

You can contact them SBTPG, toll-free, at 1-877-908-7228 or go to their secure website www.sbtpg.com 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service 

If it was filed and accepted, then you have to follow up with the IRS to see what happened. 

To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

If this is about your state refund then contact your state:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The e-File window is now closed, 

You have to file on paper via the Post Office.

You can still buy software to prepare your return, OR, you can get the PDF forms from the IRS website and the instructions and fill it out yourself.

If you have a simple return and want to save money, you can try that.

In the old days, before PCs, that's how everybody did it.

And no I'm not being facetious.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies