turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Just need to switch back over to free edition from Deluxe.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies
AnthonyJ

You are able to downgrade from your current TurboTax version as long as you have not already paid or attempted to submit/e-file/register your return.  If none of these situations pertain to you, you can complete the downgrade by following the instructions below.

Please keep in mind, in order to complete a downgrade you will be required to completely clear your information already entered and start all over.

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in to your  TurboTax Online account and select the blue Take me to my return button.
  2. On the Welcome Back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

Once this process is complete you will be asked to select your TurboTax version again.

That is complete BS

I did my 2017 return and didn't sa e it but I was being harged forty dollars for doing my 'free tax return.

When I go back in and log on I keep being moved in a loop no opportunity to refill my return.|

Please advise how I can start for free from scratch?

Thanks

Please start your own new question.  You have added on to an old one and it might not be seen by someone who can answer.

It is complete bs. They are equating "registering" your return to having "filed" before you actually hit the File button. 

Apparently, TT thinks it's too much of a hassle to scrap everything even if you haven't paid them or even filed.  This is a way to bind you so they can still get their money even if the tax version you used to figure out your taxes is no longer a benefit to you for the tax year you're filing.

But you can still upgrade of course because somehow upgrading (EVEN IF YOU HAVE REGISTERED YOUR TAXES) is allowable. 

That is a shady business tactic. 110% 

With that being said, TT automatically upgrades you to their lowest edition (TT Deluxe I believe) if you don't qualify for the Federal/State Free edition.  To get the free edition you have to have an AGI of $36k or lower, have qualified for the EIC, or are a veteran/active duty/military personnel.

[Profanity Removed] I can't believe I just spent 8 hours doing my taxes only to find out I have to start from the beginning. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, once you have submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you wouldn't be able to clear and start over. The only other option is to review your fees and try to reduce any fees that you have. Please follow the instructions below.

How do I review my fees in TurboTax Online?  

This should help you reduce your fees.  

What can I do to reduce my fees?   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I agree that this is BS. I did my entire return in the free version and am doing the standard deduction. So, education deductions essentially don't matter, but apparently entering education expenses requires that you pay for the deluxe edition. So, even though nothing was actually done in the deluxe edition I have to start over completely in order to not pay my entire tax refund to turbo tax. It's total BS!!!

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

The Free File Program is also available if you qualify. Please refer to the FAQs below for qualification information.  

I’ve tried looking for this it isn’t working I was in the process of amending and cancelled the amend and now I can’t get rid of deluxe 

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Did you upgrade to Deluxe while preparing your original return or was the upgrade a result of Amending?

If the upgrade is a result of adding forms for your Amendment, click this link for more info on Upgrade for Amendment. 

How to Cancel or Undo an Amendment

@KRISTAJO

ME369

This does not work.  I had to use Deluxe last year and now I cannot downgrade back to Free Basic even though I meet all of the requirements.   Clear and Start Over does not clear my information and the product defaults to Deluxe. 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

If we detect that your tax situation requires expanded coverage, we'll prompt you to upgrade to a version that supports the forms you need so we can maximize your tax deductions and ensure you file an accurate return.  For more details on this, please see the Help Article here.

@ME369 

If it doesn't let you clear and you haven't paid and filed you could just start a new account.  Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

Or go to the IRS Free File programs

Free File: Do your Federal Taxes for Free | Internal Revenue Service

In the Turbo Tax Free Edition, information that you can enter is limited now.  Why do I have to upgrade from the Free Edition?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/upgrading/help/why-do-i-have-to-upgrade-from-free-edition/00/26379

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies