turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Itsdeductible being discontinued.. WHAT???

If you haven't already, click on "View Summaries".  You then can upload either a PDF or an HTML  file.  I've uploaded both.  I used the HTML file to create an Excel file Which I can "easily" Copy into TT.

H&R Block must be investigated as a replacement for TT. The only phone number I found for them appears to be for questions on 2021 filed taxes.  Where did you find their number?

Not sure what number you had, but I found this: [phone number removed]. OK, can eight hundred 4725625 be posted?

I know it's tedious but you can start a new 2021 file.  Select a quantity of 1 for both High & Medium conditions.  When you are done upload a HTML file.  Then copy the HTML file into an Excel file.  This is now a searchable database.  Since each record uses 3 lines I broke each  line into 3 columns.  I wrote a looping macro to do this.

When this was complete I selected the data in the 1st column and moved it down to line up with the 3rd column.  I repeated this with the 2nd column.

After everything is in single line format there will be 2 blank lines between the entries.  Did another looping macro to delete these empty lines.

I am a CFO for an aerospace company, and like many of you I found this decision ill-timed and certainly lacking for customer empathy.  I would be very disappointed if our company did something like this.

I also e-mailed the "Office of the President Voice of the Customer" at [email address removed]

The reply e-mail I received was the templated "just use Mint" response.

Mint is not a viable substitute for most of us, and I suspect Mint may also go the way of the dodo bird soon (just like ItsDeductible).

Here was my e-mail:

I am curious about the Intuit mid-year decision to eliminate the product “ItsDeductible”. You had a couple of options that would be least disruptive to loyal customers that use TurboTax and ItsDeductible:

1. Kill it prior to the start of activity for year 2022
(and/or)
2. Wait until the end of year 2022 to kill it but give customers advance warning in June 2022 that it would be eliminated for 2023

Part of your Operating Values center around Customer Obsession – so leaving customers high-and-dry midyear must be part of “creating a customer problem and falling in love with it so much you adopt it a strategy”?

As a reminder, this is from your Operating Values:
Customer Obsession
We fall in love with our customers' problems.
We deliver unrivaled customer benefit to power their prosperity.
We sweat every detail of the experience to deliver excellence.

I have been a TurboTax user for a couple of decades – I remember trying to decide between TaxCut and TurboTax for Windows. A tax prep friend recommended TurboTax and I have been a loyal customer since. Maybe it’s time to play-the-field…

Thanks for listening.

If you were disinterested (no such thing as uninterested), why bother to comment?  

@wintely0 wrote:

If you were disinterested (no such thing as uninterested), why bother to comment?  

Without attribution, no one has any idea to whom you are responding. 

Normally I just accept the inevitable and go with the change.

But, I think the "For Profit Company" comment was a bit tacky and could be read as "bait and switch" "Look at all the features we have". It was NOT a FREE tool, it was part of the features that persuaded me to subscribe to TurboTax. Drop the corporate speak. Taxes are frustrating enough for many of us.

Also, I've read the "All's ya gotta do..." comments. I subscribe to TurboTax so I can avoid work arounds.

By the way, the expense was in creating the It'sDeductable webpage. Very little expense goes into keeping the server hosting it running.

@AandP wrote:

Very little expense goes into keeping the server hosting it running.

I believe that is dependent upon the page visits, inputs, etc.

This is not some small business server containing only several pages of advertising.

Sadly I have to agree - the maintenance and sustainment of these applications can greatly exceed the development cost over time.

Has ANYONE found a decent alternative that can be used via a phone app?  All that I really am trying to do is create a list of donations that I can import or upload to TurboTax.

Another Champ posted two sites in a different thread for the purposes of valuation.

Salvation Army Donation Value Guide

Goodwill Donation Valuation Guide (PDF)

I really do not believe you are going to find a phone app to replace the functionality of ItsDeductible, particularly the import function.

I expect that much of the ongoing cost to Intuit is updating the donation valuations.

Regarding import into TT, I'd suggest summarizing items by category (e.g., clothing, household), getting valuations from past ItsDeductible summaries, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., and then manually entering what would probably be a small number of donations into TT. There are lots of ways to do the summaries, such as Excel and probably various free web and mobile tools. The main effort then becomes making the summaries.

As has already been posted, people probably want to look at H&R Block software.  They have built-in valuation in the software package.  

I have been a TT user from the very beginning.   I have used it every year, since.  However, like automobiles, one must be flexible to move to a more compatible model; unless you want to hand-crank your engine.  For me, it is not worth making up an Excel system when one already exists in H&R Block.  I will not be hand-cranking for 2022 taxes.  I will be jumping to another system.  I already signed up and tested.  It is where I will be going.

In addition to the Salvation Army site mentioned previously (https://satruck.org/Home/DonationValueGuide) and the Goodwill pdf, here is a link I just discovered for an interactive Goodwill valuation.- https://www.goodwill.org/your-impact/

Critter-3

I'm sorry.  But either you work for TurboTax or you are such a fanboy.  While you are correct that they are a company with a profit motive, they could also have handled this a lot better.  Like asking. their paying, faithful TurboTax customers if they would be happy to pay for the ItsDeductible extension.  I, for one, would have gladly said yes especially if the import capability to TurboTax was still functioning.  

Just admit that they could have done this better, otherwise, quit defending them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies