turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ITIN to SSN update

How did you came to know that SSN is merged with ITIN  by IRS ?

ITIN to SSN update

I sent the letter for ITIN rescind (and merge with SSN) back in May 2020, but still haven’t heard anything back. Plus, I didn’t get the 2nd stimulus payment of $600 either (in addition to missing on the 1st stimulus payment of $1200).

Could you let me know the ITIN customer care phone number, and how you found out your is complete? Did you get a notice that it’s completed?

Please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Regards

ITIN to SSN update

They sent a letter saying itin was revoked and when i called them at [phone number removed] they said merge was complete but i missed first and second stimulus for my spouse. But i got the second stimulus after missing first one. 

ITIN to SSN update

Merging the number is immaterial for the 2020 return ... you will file the 2020 return with the new SS# and you can get all the missing stimulus money you are eligible for on the 2020 return.   

There are many changes to the tax laws in the appropriations bill that was just signed last week.  There is no guarantee of when you will be able to file, it depends on when the IRS updates their forms and how long after that it takes Turbotax to be updated.  

While Turbotax may allow e-filing as early as January 7, the IRS will not open e-filing until at least January 27, so early returns will just go into cold storage.  Don't be in a hurry, especially this year.

The IRS has not yet finalized the Recovery Rebate Credit worksheet for the 2nd stimulus.  TurboTax cannot include the 2nd stimulus question on the Recovery Rebate Credit page until the IRS finalized the Form 1040.

The IRS Form 1040 is currently estimated to be available on 01/07/2021 (subject to change)

Go to this TurboTax website for IRS forms availability - https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intuit.com/forms-availability/turbotax_fed_online_individual.html

ITIN to SSN update

Looks like the phone number got removed in the post. Could you possibly send the phone number in my email address (rimesh.joshi@gmail...)?

Per what I’ve read, you should be able to claim the 1st stimulus payment $1200 each for you and spouse in your 2020 tax return. Not sure about the 2nd stimulus payment of $600 that was missed for your spouse.

ITIN to SSN update

BOTH stimulus checks are based on 2020 information ... so if you have the SS# before you file the 2020 return you are eligible for both.  

ITIN to SSN update

Hello, 

I recently got my wife's SSN. Can I just file my 2020 Tax Return with my wife's SSN and not send letter to IRS to rescind it? Will IRS automatically rescind it when they receive my 2020 Tax Return? Or can I send the letter along with my 2020 Tax Return as I will not be able e-file my Tax Return and would have to mail it in?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

ITIN to SSN update

You need to send the letter rescinding the ITIN to the address in Texas. It is a separate address from where you will be sending the tax return. File the 2020 return using the SSN.

From the IRS website:

"Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301-0057 "

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ITIN to SSN update

I sent the letter to IRS for my wife’s SSN to merge with ITIN in Oct last year. Haven’t heard anything back from IRS if its merged or not.
Can we file tax returns with IRS using the SSN? 
Is there a chance that return will be rejected as they have ITIN in records

ITIN to SSN update

It's hard to tell if the IRS proceed your request or not yet. You can try to e-file your tax return, but there is a chance it will be rejected. You might need to print and mail-in it to the IRS. 

ITIN to SSN update

What is the procedure to file return by mail?
 where can I get the details?

ITIN to SSN update

In the FILE tab choose to mail in the return then the instructions will print with the return.  

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

ITIN to SSN update

Please see the below TurboTax Help Articles to assist with filing your tax return by mail:

@Mohit2002in

ITIN to SSN update

I have done the e-filing of my tax return and it got accepted. Even though there was no confirmation about SSN merge with ITIN.

Tax return was accepted with my wife’s SSN number. Does this means that IRS updated their system and merged ITIN with SSN.

Is there still any chance of rejection ?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

ITIN to SSN update

No, if your Efile was Accepted by the IRS, you are correct that the Social Security records must be updated.

Click this link for more info on What does Accepted Mean?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies