turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a way I can get a stimulus check if my circumstances have changed from 2019?

I was claimed as a dependent for 2019 but moved to my own house in November. I should qualify for a stimulus check but will not receive one because my mom claimed me and my son in 2019. Who can I talk to about the change in circumstances?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Is there a way I can get a stimulus check if my circumstances have changed from 2019?

If you qualified your parent as a dependent, then you are a dependent. If you did not, you can amend your return. The IRS will probably look extra hard at 2019 dependents amending their returns to be independent.

Qualifying Child

Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or step-sibling, or a descendant of one of these.

Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.

Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.

Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year

Qualifying Relative

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet all of the following requirements :

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info
  • They made less than $4,200 in gross income during 2019 unless they are a qualifying child.
  • They live with you or they are related to you. (Your relative must live at your residence all year or be on the list of “relatives who do not live with you” in Publication 501.) 
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren't (or won't be) claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • You are not being claimed as a dependent on someone else's return.

@hperrilla$

Thank you for responding. So am I understanding this correctly that it doesn’t matter what my circumstances are now? It matters what my circumstances were last year? I was claimed as a dependent because I lived with her most of 2019. However, in November I moved and got my own house.  I was hoping I could inform someone that my situation has changed, I am no longer a dependent and also out of work as a direct result of covid19. 

....and I made more than $4,200.00 last year, for sure, so she shouldn’t have claimed me at all.  Thanks again for your info. 

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

You both will need to file amended returns for 2019 if you did not meet the requirements to be claimed as a dependent.

Based upon your income level, you should not have been claimed by your mom as a dependent.  You should talk to her and amend her return and yours if you have already filed your return for 2019.  

The stimulus checks are based upon your 2019 tax returns, or if you have not filed your 2019 return yet, your 2018 tax return. 

However, since you were claimed as a dependent in 2019, you would not be eligible for a stimulus check based upon the current filing the IRS has. (see 2nd link below)

I recommend checking the following IRS link for updates.  But at this point, the IRS is not taking calls in regards to the stimulus check.  

Stimulus payment information from the IRS

Stimulus check calculator

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

the answer to your question is 'yes'

I've come across more information on how these stimulus rebates will work.  The link  below is the best analysis I have come across and should help a number of those on this thread understand 'who claimed who' and how this appears it will settle out:

https://www.cbh.com/guide/alerts/cares-act-what-you-need-to-know/

(scroll down to "Recovery Rebates")

Basically, the stimulus payments are an advance against 2020 tax returns. 

When we complete 2020 tax returns, we will each re-calculate the stimulus payments based on 2020 tax returns  (income, qualifying children, etc).  

Whatever that re-calculated number is LESS what you already received will be an additional credit on your tax return, which would increase your refund or reduce how much you owe.  Let's say you didn't claim a child in 2019 but did in 2020 as an example that could create the credit

And here is the kicker, if that recalculated number is negative (meaning your stimulus payment was higher than you were really entitled to based on your 2020 tax return), YOU WILL NOT owe that money back.  Let's say you claimed a child in 2019 who was 16 but in 2020 they were 17 as an example on how the recalculated number could be negative,  (a 16 year old is a qualifying child for the $500 but the 17 year old is not eligible)

spouse deceased Nov. 2019--$2400 is scheduled to be deposited 4/15--am I entitled to his $1200 (will I have to return this)?

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

You are entitled to that payment based your 2019 tax return.  Currently there is no guidance or mention of returning any stimulus money after filing a 2020 return.  Sorry for your loss.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

sorry for your loss; you will not have to return 

technically, the stimulus is based on your 2020 tax return to be filed next year; however, the CARES act stipulates that if you are overpaid when comparing to your 2018 or 2019 tax return, there is no requirement to return it, 

rcuillard

If we had a new baby in May 2020, is there a way to get that dependent amount on my next stimulus check?

@rcuillard When you file your 2020 tax return in 2021---next year-- you will claim your baby as a dependent on that tax return.  So no, you cannot claim a newborn right now to get immediate stimulus money.  The IRS is only using information from 2018 and 2019 tax returns to issue stimulus checks.  They are not using information about children born in 2020.  But the stimulus checks being received in 2020 are actually an advance for a credit you can get on next year's tax return.  You can get it in 2021.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Carl
Level 15

Your circumstances in 2019 or before just flat out do not matter. It's your circumstances for 2020 that matter for the stimulus check. Two things that will occur if you amend your return for the purpose of changing your dependency status.

1) Your amended return will be flagged for investigation - possibly a fraud investigation. This will most likely delay any refund you may be due for an indeterminate period of time.

2) you will not get a stimulus check.

If I received partial stimulus payments due to my income in 2018/2019 being $75K (the max amount), but I lost my job in January of 2020... when I do my 2020 taxes, can I request the difference between the max amount you could get and the actual amount you received, on my 2020 tax return due to my circumstances changes or is what I got all I can or will get, regardless of any changes in my circumstances??

I ask because I heard/read that if your circumstances have changed (due to Covid, lots of people are unemployed and not making whatever they were making in 2019), that you could then get the money you weren't given, once you filed your income tax return. I've yet to find a job and my unemployment is running out soon, so anything I can get would be helpful to me and anyone else in my circumstances. (sadly, there are many in my circumstances and worse!!)

@robertrh4

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks, that helped... appreciated.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies