turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is there a link to TurboTax 2019 release notes?

@coolyman_TT wrote:

Why?? Is everything a big secret now?

TurboTax has removed release notes for the TurboTax software effective for tax year 2019.  They will be removing the More details link in the Updater window later during the 2019 tax season.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

View solution in original post

This is TERRIBLE customer service.  I specifically use TurboTax to estimate my taxes and therefore start early.  I fully realize that forms and the program will update, but I'd like to know what changed after I complete a section of my taxes.  Why is it so difficult to say what has been changed or fixed?  Please continue your past practice.

Wake up Turbo Tax.  When I click on a link, I expect it to take me where I want to go.

How hard can it be to show the updates, as you have done in the past.

@steve5027 wrote:

Wake up Turbo Tax.  When I click on a link, I expect it to take me where I want to go.

How hard can it be to show the updates, as you have done in the past.

TurboTax has removed release notes for the TurboTax software effective for tax year 2019.  They will be removing the More details link in the Updater window later during the 2019 tax season.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

That is very sad to learn of. Is there a way to report bugs in the interview and/or forms still or is that only via a support representative?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@jonathan klein   I am able to pass along a message reporting a bug in the program to TurboTax forum moderators.  Please describe the issue, in detail, and I'll share your post.  Thank you so much for your assistance.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Repeatedly copy/pasting that Turbo Tax is getting rid of this information is NOT listening to your customers.  This seems like a very low effort service that Turbo Tax is dropping that has a big impact on your customers.  Why is it being dropped?

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@cummingscm Neither I nor @DoninGA are employees of TurboTax.  We're just passing along the info that we've been given.  We've not been given an explanation of why the release notes are being eliminated.  Even though the "More Details" icon is still there, if is non-functional.  Not quite sure why TT can't just remove it.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

TT has never released the update notes prior to the program being fully operational sometime in January  and even when they did they were never really updated frequently so they were basically useless overall.   If the current "more info" button is not doing anything and they have not yet removed it then either they will remove it later or it will become operational later.  

A word to the wise ... unless you have a very simple W-2 only return you should never file prior to mid to late February when most of the updates and bugs have been worked out.  Waiting until mid March or later is even better.  

Also,  once you have filed you should shut off the auto update function and save both a PDF & .taxfile of the return to a separate storage medium for safekeeping.   Then towards the end of the tax year you can update the program one more time to see if anything was changed that affected your return which would require you to amend ... having the original return to work off is critical in this case.  

Release Notes should be standard for any software package.  Why has this been removed from turbotax?

Release notes answer such questions as

1) has a bug been fixed so that someone can complete their taxes,

2) does a fix relate to a section of the tax forms that may change my calculations/values,

3) do I need to revisit a fixed section because it was incorrect before?

Well we need to wait until January when the program is fully operational to see if the release notes are reinstated although they were always lagging and way behind the curve.  The REVIEW tab and personal emails have taken the place of these notes. 

1) has a bug been fixed so that someone can complete their taxes,  If you cannot complete your taxes the REVIEW tab will tell you so and you can sign up for email alerts when the form is ready or the issue has been resolved ... this is a more timely and personal method of notification.

2) does a fix relate to a section of the tax forms that may change my calculations/values,  If this happens before you file this is not a tragedy since you could not file yet ... and when it happens after you file all possibly affected users are notified by email ... again a more timely and personal method of notification.

3) do I need to revisit a fixed section because it was incorrect before?  If you do need to revisit a section before you file the program will tell you in the REVIEW tab ... you cannot complete the FILE tab until everything is resolved in the review tab.  

How about you quit repeating that we can't see the changelog and tell us why?

@coolyman_TT wrote:

How about you quit repeating that we can't see the changelog and tell us why?

The Why can only be answered by someone from TurboTax.  Not by any of the users on this forum.

Hello all:

Thank you to SUPER Kat and others who have let us know the feature (release notes) is being deprecated, or at least that is the current information from Intuit/TurboTax.  Also to cummingscm who has explained past behavior for release notes.  I hope cummingscm is correct and the release notes start later in the year, but I fear they are feature that TurboTax is planning to permanently remove/deprecate, as has been stated elsewhere.  After all, they are not easy to write properly, and might save some $ for other purposes.

To the extent that the moderators can forward user input to those responsible for the program and its features, please do so.  From this user's perspective, this is very very bad change.  The feature should be left intact, and improved, so that users know exactly what is included, and so that downloaded information can be checked to make sure it is what TurboTax is supposed to be downloading or upgrading our software with, (such as file hashes).  Please carry that message to Intuit/TurboTax personnel responsible for this change, if you can.

Why?  Because we all need to know what to expect - not just what forms have been updated, but rather all things that change the user's observed behavior of the program.  This may not have been done in the past, but we should all realize that the online connectivity environment and program complexity is changing  and the likelihood of unintentional programming errors and problems occurring, as well as hacks, malware, and so forth, affecting important programs, such as TurboTax, is increasing.

Keeping track of changes, and writing a meaningful description of all changes, and what to expect from them, is a time consuming and very difficult job.  Just like most technical writing.  But it is one of many keys to proper software development and quality software, and it should help users and TurboTax more effectively resolve issues and prevent problems.  IMHO, it is unconscionable for TurboTax to remove this feature, if they want to provide software of adequate quality, and hope to retain their users.  And they should work to improve it, as noted above.  Among other things, good release notes should help users provide higher quality and more useful feedback on changes that either break something or do not resolve intended issues.  There are many other reasons that release notes can help both TurboTax and its users, but the bottom line is that release notes should not be deprecated.  Yes, it will save some money now, but in the big scheme of things, it is a short term gain that will result in more problems in time.

Again, thanks to the moderators and/or others who are willing to communicate this user's input to those who should maintain and improve release notes, rather than deprecate them.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading this,

BobC2020

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@BobC2020 I have passed along your well-worded response, as well as all other posts on this thread, to TurboTax Moderators.  Just want you to know that you have been heard, and that user feedback is very important to TurboTax.

Thanks to all users who have voiced concerns and suggestions regarding this issue.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies