turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a glitch with the 2020 Turbo Tax? When I enter $300 for charitable deductions (I took the standard deduction) I get an error message that my amount is too high.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Is there a glitch with the 2020 Turbo Tax? When I enter $300 for charitable deductions (I took the standard deduction) I get an error message that my amount is too high.

This year you can claim $300 as an adjustment to income (line 10b) if you made a cash contributions to a charitable organization, while claiming the Standard Deduction.

Please follow these steps to enter the charitable cash contribution for 10b (do not enter the under Itemized Deductions) :

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click "Federal" from the left side of your screen
  3. Click “Deductions &Credits” on the top
  4. Scroll all the way down and click the "Wrap up tax breaks" button
  5. Continue until the "Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act" screen
  6. Enter your charitable cash contributions.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have Turbotax Deluxe on my MacBook, not online.  Continue to get an error message when I check my federal return. I am taking a standard deduction and wish to claim the $300 deduction.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Please follow these steps to claim cash contributions while getting the Standard Deduction in TurboTax Desktop:

1. Click "Federal Taxes" from the top of your screen
  2. Click “Deductions &Credits” on the top
  3. Click on "I'll choose what to work on"
  4. Scroll all the way down and click the "Done with deductions" button
  5. Continue until you will get "The Standard Deduction is right for you" and click continue
  6. Continue until the "Any charitable cash contributions" screen
  7. Enter your charitable cash contributions made in 2020.

Please make sure your software is updated.

If this doesn't help then please contact TurboTax for more direct help: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@IraBeckerman

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same problem using TurboTax Deluxe for Windows. After following the posted instructions there is still the persisting error: "1040/1040SR Wks: Cash Charitable is too large."

The TurboTax software has been updated regularly and we cannot avoid this error message. Please help!

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Leave the box blank in the Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act screen. 

The key is the sequencing of the entry in posting cash donations made and having TurboTax recalculate your tax breaks. Anything listed in the Cares Act section before first being entered as a deduction will produce unexpected results.

To qualify for the Cares Act above-the-line deduction up to $300 for all taxpayers except married filing separate, who would each have a maximum of $150, for standard deduction filers, the IRS clarifies that the contribution must be:

1. a cash contribution;
  2. made to a qualifying organization;
  3. made during the calendar year 2020

To do this in TurboTax CD/Download, go to Deductions & Credits and select I'll choose what I work on.

• First, enter in the charitable donation amount as you normally would in the Charitable Donations section of Deductions & Credits.
  • When finished entering all donations, select Done with Charitable Donations and Continue.
  • Scroll to the end of the Deductions & Credits page and select Done with Deductions.
    • You may need to respond to any other additional questions, but eventually see: The Standard Deduction is Right for You! 
    • Click Continue.
    • At Charitable Cash Contributions under Cares Act, you should see any qualified contribution amount already entered from your earlier posts. If you have entered something here, delete it. Select Continue. TurboTax will automatically calculate this amount for you. If there is an amount entered by the system, there is not need to adjust it. Proceed through the rest of the interview.
  • Run the review again. 

This should clear the error.

For more information, see IRS Charitable Contributions Deductions.

@1-for-you-19-for-me

It worked, and, finally, passed the final review.

kfrans
Returning Member

It worked for me just now, although I had to delete all of my cash contributions and just leave in my other donations listed like goodwill and salvation army. If I left in even one cash contribution, the system wouldn't work for me. 

I'm on a Mac using Chrome (was using Safari but the first time when I spoke to an agent, I was told it was a glitch with Safari and to use Chrome going forward). 

This glitch has been going on for at least 3 weeks for me, and upon searching the threads, others were having problems since early February so clearly Turbotax hasn't fixed anything. Thinking about switching to either H&R Block or going to an accountant for next year...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies